Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 5650
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have replaced the printer with several cartridges including brand new ones and the print cartridge continues to blink. The printer had beed working fine and the unit was a new unit that has beed used very little even though it is an old model

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@_coledog8

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP Deskjet 5650 Printer. I read that the print cartridge light is blinking. You have replaced the ink cartridges and have installed original HP cartridges and the issue persists. Not to worry, I'll do my best to help you. 

Not worry, I'll do my best to help you. To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Did any other hardware changes take place on the printer before (like a paper jam, carriage jam, etc.)?

Meanwhile, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Disconnect the power cable from the printer while the printer is still ON.
  • Disconnect any other cables if connected the printer.
  • Press and hold the printer’s power button for 15 seconds.
  • The printer should be directly connected to the wall outlet and not to a surge protector. Reconnect the power cable to print and the printer should power ON by itself. If the printer doesn’t power ON then please manually power it ON.

If the issue persists then I suggest you to clean the electrical contacts inside the printer carriage (where the cartridges fit in). See below image:

Figure : Carriage contacts

• Remove both cartridges (even if the message indicates only one cartridge). See your printer's manual or help files for specific information on removing and inserting cartridges. Most HP printers must be turned on to remove the cartridges.
  • Make sure to complete the procedure and reinstall the cartridges within 30 minutes. The ink in the cartridges can dry in the nozzles if the cartridge is outside of the printer for too long.
  • Unplug the printer.
  • Gather cleaning supplies:

• Clean distilled water. Use bottled or filtered water if distilled water is not available.

• Clean cotton swabs or any soft, lint-free material (coffee filters work well).

• Using a new swab, clean the cartridge contacts inside the printer (the print carriage). The illustrations show contact locations for some representative carriages.try to locate copper contacts inside of the printer that would touch the contacts on the cartridge when the cartridge is installed.

• Allow all the contacts to dry for at least five minutes, or dry them with a clean swab, then reinstall the cartridges.
  • Close the front cover and plug the printer back in.

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Let me know how it goes. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

I did all of the recmmendations from your instructions, but the ink light is still blinking?

HP Recommended

@_coledog8

Thanks for attempting the suggested steps. Ideally, these steps should have taken care of the issue.

The evidence points towards a hardware failure. I recommend you to reachout to our HP phone support to explore the hardware service options for the printer.

All the best! 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.