Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Laserjet 1320
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am using a HP Laserjet 1320 printer, USB-connected to my PC with Windows 10-64 bit OS. It works fine, except that I want to configure the printer to print the current date on each document. I can't find the setting. I am using PCL5 driver recommented by Microsoft.  Can someone help?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

You have to do that from the document itself using its software. You can insert date, time, page number ..... in Word, Excel .... software.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

As @banhien points out, for most printers, the only really practical way to do this at present is via optional header/trailer objects set in the source document, for those applications which support such insertions.

Many (most?) Windows printer drivers offer a Watermark feature (under Printing Preferences | Effects).

With most of these, the watermarks that can be added are limited to a few fixed text fields, and their position and size is also limited.

Some printer drivers support adding the current username to the Watermark feature; a few (generally current and more expensive printers, for example Colour LaserJet Enterprise M553x) can instead use the current date and time in the Watermark:

Capture.PNG

I haven't tried this yet, so don't know what control there is over positioning, etc.

HP Recommended

Thanks for those tips. I want to automatically date each printout, even ones from the web, so the header/footer option in Office will not do the trick. The watermark idea is right on the money, and I am using it to date docs printed on another brand of printer. However, the Laserjet 1320 with PCL5 driver, while it does watermarks, does not include dates as an option. Is there another driver for this printer that does?

HP Recommended

@mcavoyr wrote:

Thanks for those tips. I want to automatically date each printout, even ones from the web, ..

@mcavoyr

The one on the web should print out date, time, .... . Which browser are you using ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

The details I posted in my earlier response about the driver options available with a Colour LaserJet Enterprise M553x printer were actually showing the options available with the latest HP Universal Printer Driver (PCL6) (version 6.2.1).

I thought that the PCL6 UPD did not support the (relatively old) LaserJet1320n printer (because I thought that it generated a later Class/Revision of the PCL XL protocol than the C/R 2.0 supported by this printer model).

However, the latest PCL6 UPD does appear to support this printer, on my Windows 10 Professional 64-bit system.

[As an aside, note that HP no longer provide a PCL5 UPD].

UPD_LJ1320n_PropertiesAbout.png

Using this driver, I configured the watermark:

WMset_DateAndTime.png

Then used this driver to print a (very basic) NotePad document, with the following result (showing just the top of the page):

scan0002Extract.png

Although you can select the date/time format, and the font, font size and darkness, the watermark is always positioned at the top-right of the page.

i.e. you can not specify the position, unlike the case where you select one of the fixed-text watermarks:

WMset_textDraft.png

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.