Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5660 Series Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have perused the board looking for a solution to the "print spooler issue" and none, so far, as noted in this forum have been of any help; plus a lot of the "remedies" posted are from long, long ago - some even pre-Windows 10.

My computer is an HP 110-210 series with the latest Windows 10 [64-bit] incarnation and updates.

This print spooler issue I have encountered just started recently; piror to that I was able to print with no issues at all.

The printer is an HP ENVY 5660 e-All-in-One Printer connected wirelessly to my router with its own IP.  I have another printer [HP OfficeJet 6310 All-in-One] connected by ethernet cable to the router which is only used as a FAX machine when needed.

I first noticed this issue when I went to print a PDF and the program indicated that I first needed to install a printer!  Since that time I can only print via HPePrint. [Google print was attempted but turned into a halacious nightmare in trying to get it set up so I gave up on that option]  Yes, my printer was originally setup correctly and was useful while it was working, but now I, like so many others before me, have encoutered this print spooler issue which is right up there with the infamous BSOD!

I have run antivirus scans on my computer [MalwareBytes and F-Secure programs] and nothing is coming back indicating a computer [or  printer] virus.

So...  Is there truly a "fix" for correcting the print spooler from switching off on its own?  Or do I need to completely extract the print spooler file and replace it with one that will work?  Is that even a fix at all?

If you - read that "experts" out there - have a real solution to this print spooler issue, I'm all ears.  :manhappy:

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@ScootCoot

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 

As I understand the Print spoiler constantly switches off on its own,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Did you attempt to restart the spooler and set the properties to restart the service on failure?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

(The above link is 3rd party and is not owned by HP, I've posted this only so that i may help you resolve this issue by going beyond by support boundaries, please ignore the ads and take only the free suggestions)

Keep me posted,

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

"Did you attempt to restart the spooler and set the properties to restart the service on failure?"

Yes.  And, while the spooler window was open I watched it as I attempted to print a test page and noted that the spooler was "running" but when I clicked to print the test page the spooler stopped according to spooler window...

Today, I am attempting to print via ePrint but am running into an issue.  The "My Printers" window is open and the first line indicates: "Sending to Printer" but nothing is printing out.  Before this one I attempted to print the same document but the indication in "My Printers" showed that the printer is "offline", which it isn't.

I am connected to the Internet via FiOS through a router that has both ethernet connections and wireless capability.  The printer in question is both a wireless or ethernet printer - I have the printer connected to the router wirelessly; the SAME connection setup when I first set the printer up.  And, as noted in my first posting, I could print directly to the printer be it from my laptop notebook [wirelessly] or from a newly aquired HP desktop computer connected to the router via an ethernet cable as is my main HP Windows 10 desktop computer; the one computer I print from most of the time.

I will try the instructions you included and get back to you with the results.  I thank you for your reply and any future replies you may make.

HP Recommended

F.Y.I. My printer as per HP AiO Printer Remote:

Model Name: ENVY 5660 e-All-in-One Printer Series

IP Address: 192.168.1.5   MAC Address: 50-65-F3-55-9B-99

Installation Status: Installed

Connection Type: Network

Connection Status: Online

Host Name: HP559B99

Firmware Version: NLM2CN1716AR

Service ID: 25244

HP Recommended

Tried the 3rd party fix you included in your reply - did not solve the issue.

I could be doing something incorrectly in setting up my printers, but again, everything worked fine until a few days ago; now I cannot print directly from my desktops to the network printer.

I have looked at a lot of postings - submitted and those replied to - and none seem to be straight forward in explaining what the issue is when it comes to the print spooler.  I read it's a Microsoft screw up; some say it is a corrupted .dll file; some say it is an update issue...  I am at a total loss as to how to fix this issue and, with no disrespect, no one within this or any other forum addressing this print spooler issue really seems to have an answer as to how to fix the problem and get 100% results - meaning printing once again resumes with no interruptions or issues...

I know Microsoft issues patches, upgrades, fixes, etc. and it is usually "in the background"  doing it automatically when these things are done - could it be one of the latest updates has created this issue once again?  Even Microsoft's site is no help...

I am looking for a simple explanation, when it comes to fixing this print spooler issue; a simple explanation as one would give when explaning how to change a flat tire on an automobile...  I just want to "fix the flat"; not rebuild the whole car...  Clear precise steps in fixing this issue with 100% results is not available from within these forums is what I am experiencing...

Thank you for trying - I do appreciate it...  I'm "dead in the water" and short of trashing my current systems and purchasing a system that works, I am at a loss as to how to print when I can't even get HPePrint to work...!

HP Recommended

Hi @ScootCoot,

I reviewed the response. Brilliant troubleshooting and remarkable effort to try and correct the issue. Kudos to you for a job well done. 🙂

Please try all the prescribed steps from this HP forum link which has worked as a solution for several others.

This should do the trick for you.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a superb week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, DavidSMP... Yes, I tried a lot of the solutions I found in the forum but none really worked that well.  I kept putzing around trying different things then just removed and uninstalled all printer listings and started from scratch - it worked to a point.

After reinstalling, updating and setting as the default printer, my Envy 5660 now prints but I have to remember to push the OK link on the display.  I did push the "connect" link on the display but it timed out.

The other day I got an email from HP - the ink program - telling me my printer isn't connected to the Internet so they can't monitor my printer's ink levels.  On this issue I am still trying to figure out why HP can't see the printer.

I will keep muddling around and hopeful, some day, get the printer back to its working self like it was before all this "print spooler" stuff started happening!

Have a good day... :generic:

HP Recommended

Hi,  Riddle_Decipher...  Sorry for the delay in posting a reply...  See my reply to DavidSMP...

I did get my printer to print but now there is an issue with HP not being able to monitor my ink levels because they are indicating my printer is offline, which it isn't, so there is another issue I need to deal with...  <sigh>

HP Recommended

@ScootCoot

It looks like you were interacting with @DavidSMP, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 

I'm the Riddle_Decipher & I'm back, at your service. 

Thank you for the update,

I'm glad the printer is working, although, with regards to the message about HP not able to monitor your ink, is that related to the HP INSTANT INK PROGRAM?

Please let me know if it is, I should be able to get an Instant Ink expert involved to help you out.

Keep me posted for further assistance 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.