Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 6830

My Officejet 6830 is connected to my desktop computer (Windows 10) via a USB cable and it prints most of the time (a few random issues, but overall tolerable). However, my son would like to print wirelessly from his desktop computer (Windows 10) that is located 20 feet away. We've both tried various settings--but just can't figure out how to allow him to print. We would really appreciate it if somebody could walk us through this process.

Thanks,

Richard & Kyle

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

What is his machine and its Operating system ? Can he use wireless to access internet ? Have you installed printer software and drivers to his machine yet ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

He is using Windows 10 and  is connected to the Comcast modem/router via ethenet cable. We are thinking we might need to purchase a bluetooth adapter (?) for his computer. Some HP printer software has been installed--but I was hoping that when it eventually recognized my printer, it would prompt us for additional software to download.

Thanks,

Richard

HP Recommended

Hi,

Your printer does support wired (Ethernet) connection as shown

https://support.hp.com/rs-en/document/c04268294

Quick and easy way: connect your printer to your router and both computers can print from there (given your machine can also connect to Comcast modem/router.)

gateway.PNG

If not practical, please check your son PC, does it have wireless (your printer does not support Bluetooth). If not, you can add to his machine a wireless card or USB wireless adapter, then connect his PC to printer wirelessly.

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/c/technology/home-networking-devices/wireless-usb-ad...

Regards

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

My son's computer does not have a wifi card. We both are connected to a Comcast modem/router combo via ethernet cables. From your comments, it seems that we could purchase a wifi adapter for his computer and then he could send his documents to the printer. Is that correct? How difficult is that to set up?

Thanks,

Richard

HP Recommended

Hello,

In one of your suggestions you mention to buy a USB wireless adapter for my son's computer. Then what? How does he download the HP 6830 printer drivers? How does the printer recognize his computer?

Again, we are both connected to the Comcast modem/router via Ethernet cables and the printer is connected to my computer via USB. Since we are on the same network, why can't his computer see the printer directly?

Thanks

HP Recommended

It's pretty rare that I receive concise and accurate information from HP--unfortunately this is not one of those rare instances. Turns out that all I needed to do was go into 'my devices' and select the printer and go into 'printer properties'. Then I chose the 'sharing' tab, gave the printer a 'name' and opened it to sharing. My son located it on his computer and was able to print. HP really has marginal customer service--after asking a question, I usually have to resolve myself. I did not have to run a USB cable to the router or purchase a USB wifi adapter. I'm a senior citizen with limited computer skills and still possess more common sense than most of the customer service reps I've dealt with.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.