Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Photosmart C4480
Microsoft Windows Vista

Dear Forum,

My printer has recenly exhibited loud, repetive clicking noises after many years of good service. I opened up the unit and after thorough disassembly and cleaning, discovered the tab of the clutch gear carriage lock had broken off and was responsible for the noise. Attempting to repair the broken part with JB Weld, then reassembling the unit, the repair didn't take and the problem returned. Could something else have caused the part to fail or was it simply weakened from use? I ordered a new clutch but would like to avoid having it reoccur if something else is the culprit. Your thoughts appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@sandl007

Welcome to the HP Forums. I would be happy to help you with your HP Photosmart c4480 printer. I understand that you are getting clicking noise and you have already done some preliminary troubleshooting. 

Don't worry though as I have a few steps to determine the issue and find a solution as well,

• Turn the All-in-One off and on again
  • Clear any jammed paper
  • Make sure the carriage moves freely
  • Remove and reinstall the cartridges
  • Plug the All-in-One directly into a wall outlet
  • Perform a hard reset

Click here and refer the document to perform above steps.

If that does not work, I request you to contact HP Phone support for further assistance on this.

Let me know if that helps.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.