Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My husband and I bought HP's Photosmart Premium Fall All-in-one Series - C309. My husband did the installing since he's more techno minded than I am. He got the printer to acknowledge our internet provider since we have wifi. Whenever we try to print a document, it will print so far and then disconnect's the internet.

The lights on my wifi box go flash happy, and as long as the printer remains on after that the internet will not connect. The moment the printer is off, internet connects fine. At first we thought perhaps it is a problem with our wifi box, and we contacted Suddenlink on the nature of our problem.

They sent one tech person out to ourselves. He spent an hour, trying a lot of different things without success. He admitted that he was baffled, and so he said he would have a senior tech come out to deal with our problem. This guy came, said they had seen this problem once before with a laptop. He called the tech that was higher than him.

Well even he could not figure out what was causing it. He said he would look into it, took down the product of my printer. He suggested that I contact HP for he had theories on "what" could be the problem. 1) the fax is trying to dial out through the wifi box, and since we will not be using the fax, to contact HP to see if there was a way to disconnect it.  2) that we just have not found the channel to properly schronize with the wifi box.

If this problem can not be solved, we will be taking the printer back to the store that we purchased to get a full refund and find a wireless printer that will work with our wifi and computers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Aha!  I should have asked this a long time ago.  Sorry.

SMC routers are "non-standard" and have problems with HP printers (among other things).  Here is how we should proceed:

• Disconnect the SMC router from the internet by unhooking the cable to the router.
  • Power cycle the router (remove power, wait 30 seconds, apply power).
  • Power cycle the printer.
  • Run the Wireless Setup Wizard from the front panel (Setup > Network).
  •  

Now, run a Network Config Test to get your IP address.

Open the printer's internal web page by browsing to its IP address.  Select Networking and then Wireless (802.11).  Under the IPv4 Configuration tab, select Manual IP:

• For Manual IP Address, use the existing printer IP address plus an offset.  For example, if the printer's IP address is currently 192.168.0.5, then use 192.168.0.30.
    • For Manual Subnet Mask, use 255.255.255.0
    • For Manual Default Gateway, leave blank.  This is important.

Select Manual DNS Server:

• Leave both the Manual Preferred DNS Server and Manual Alternate DNS Server fields empty.  This is important.

Press Apply.

Turn off the SMC wireless-router and reconnect the cable.  Now turn off  the printer and all computers connected to your network.  Wait 60 seconds then turn on the wireless-router and then turn on the printer.  Then turn on the computers.  You should be able to browse the internet while the printer is also on.

Finish up by installing the SW on the computers you want to print from (if they do not already have the software).  One more suggestion -- do not install the HP Customer Participation Program.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
    HP Recommended

We've seen this problem before with some internet providers -- especially those that have DSL or ADSL connections.  The current work around is to remove the DNS entry from the printer's internal web page.

Here's how to do this:

Open the printer's internal web page by browsing to its IP address.

•  To find the printer's IP address, print the network configuration (under Setup -> Network -> View Network Settings -> Print Network Configuration Page).

Select Networking and then Wireless (802.11).  Under the IPv4 Configuration tab, select Manual IP:

• For Manual IP Address, use the existing printer IP address.
    • For Manual Subnet Mask, use 255.255.255.0
    • For Manual Default Gateway, leave blank.  This is important.

Select Manual DNS Server:

• Leave both the Manual Preferred DNS Server and Manual Alternate DNS Server fields empty.  This is important.

Press Apply.

Turn off the wireless-router/ modem, the printer and all computers connected to your network.  Wait 60 seconds then turn on the wireless-router/modem and then turn on the printer.  Then turn on the computers.

A couple of follow-up questions:

1) Who is your ISP?

2) What is the exact model of your printer?  Is it the C309a, C309g or C309n?

3) How is the printer connected to your network:  wired LAN or wirelessly?

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
    ( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
    + Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
    HP Recommended

1) My ISP / internet provider is Suddenlink Cable Network

2)C309A

3) wirelessly

HP Recommended

Hubs just did a wireless network test report. Diagnostics Summary: Network Name (SSID) Found and it failed. Yet down to Configuration Summary, the Network Name (SSID) found our internet provider Suddenlink.net.

HP Recommended

Did you follow the instructions Wi-Fi-Guy recommended?  How far did you get and what happened?

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Finally an answer! I have a 4500 series printer for a few months now and had the same problem but havn't been able to get any help, was told win7 or my d-link were the problem. Wow i can finally use the printer through the wireless network (the reason i bought it in the first place).  Thanks

HP Recommended

Hubs has been trying for two days but can't get past the first part. He can not find the printer's IP address

HP Recommended

Print the IP address from the front of the printer:

Setup -> Network -> View Network Settings -> Print Network Configuration Page

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

When he print that out, he gets a hardware address for MAC, when he tried typing it in, it will not accept letters.

HP Recommended

No, you need to type in the IP address of the printer into a browser.

I am employed by HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
    † The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.