Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4520
macOS 10.12 Sierra

Envy gives me a question mark and a selection of boxes on the printer itself - none of the boxes get it to start printing. Have tried rebooting, and software is up to date. 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hey there! @katkea, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand your printer has a question mark and does not print.

Don't worry I'd love to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

Are you able to make a copy from your printer?

Try performing a hard reset on your printer and check if it helps.

1.Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.
2.Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
3.With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
4.Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
5.Wait at least 60 seconds.
6.Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.
7.Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
8.Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on. The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.
9.Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

If the issue still persists uninstall the printer drivers from your MAC and install the latest printer drivers.

Click Finder in the Dock.
In the menu bar, click Go, click Applications, then open the HP or Hewlett-Packard folder.
If HP Uninstaller is in the folder, double click it, then follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall the software.
If HP Uninstaller is not in the folder, continue to the next step.
Click and drag the HP or Hewlett Packard folder to the Trash icon in the Dock.
In the menu bar, click Go, click Go to Folder, type /Library/Printers, then click Go.
The Printers folder opens.
Click and drag the HP or Hewlett Packard folder to the Trash icon in the Dock.
Restart the Mac.
Right-click or Ctrl + click the Trash icon, then select Empty Trash.

Install the printer drivers using this link.

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have just had my Envy 4520 less than 6 months, have only used it about 10 times and now when I have an emergency printing to do, the **bleep** ? appears.  I have done the disconnect cord thing and it didnt work.  I amd going to try to install new drivers but this thing is a piece of crap and I wil NEVER buy a HP product again!!!!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.