cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
betty341
Level 1
4 2 0 4
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

Printer is in "single cartridge mode" - how to change this?

HP Recommended
officejet4630
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Installed new color cartridge and printer then told me the black cartridge was "protected", needed to be replaced and wouldn't print.  Until then the printer was working fine.   Removed the black cartridge, printer went into "single cartridge mode" and printed document without any black.  Have installed new black cartridge and still won't print.  Seems to be stuck on "single cartrigde mode"  How do I fix that?

9 REPLIES 9
Aardvark1
Retired
Retired
3,446 3,272 246 418
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @betty341. 

Welcome to the HP Support Forums. I understand that your printer is stuck in single cartridge mode. I would like to help.

Normally the printer will exit single cartridge mode when it detects the second ink cartridge.  It seams that the printer is currently not detecting both ink cartridges. 

Try this: 

Remove the ink cartridges from the printer. 

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
Wait at least 60 seconds.
Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.
Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

If you are still having a problem, try this document. A 'Cartridge Missing,' 'Cartridge Problem,' or 'Incompatible Ink Cartridges' Error Message Displays ...

Let me know if those steps worked for you. If they did, that’s awesome! Give us some reinforcement by hitting the solution and kudos buttons, that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Aardvark1
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
betty341
Author
Level 1
4 2 0 4
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

unfortunately this did not solve the problem.  When I check ink levels, both cartridges indicate more than 1/2 full.  But the alignment page is incomplete - only shows blue, red and gray.  

betty341
Author
Level 1
4 2 0 4
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The "solution" was to remove the black cartridge which was more than half full and had been working prior to replacing the color cartridge and REPLACE it with a new cartridge.  Is there any way to recoup that cartridge that still has ink in it?  

I also have questions about how to recoup several cartridges which now say "incompatible" on them.  They worked on an Envy printer which uses the same cartridges as the Officejet.   There is a lot of money involved in these cartridges.    

0 Kudos
Aardvark1
Retired
Retired
3,446 3,272 246 418
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ink does have its own limited warranty. HP Printers - Ink Cartridge and Printhead Limited Warranty

You will have to reach out to phone support to have this dealt with. This link will help initiate a case. www.hp.com/contacthp/

Aardvark1
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Snookie3
2 2 0 1
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I changed black cartridge and my printer says printing in single cartridge mode?

Chasinghawk
2 1 0 2
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had this issue......I solved it by removing the tab on the cartridge so the printer knows they both are there.

baffledofbarham
4 3 0 1
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Removing the tab worked for me, too . . .

Byrnes1
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After changing the black cartridge, the printter says I am printing in single cartridge only. It now prints unreadable grey. How do I change that?

0 Kudos
kevin-t
Retired
Retired
20,511 15,846 324 971
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation