Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Photosmart C6180 All-in-One
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Greetings and thank you in advance for taking the time to address my issue.  Here goes.  Changed internet provider, had problems.  Printer stopped working.  Uninstalled, reinstalled printer.  Connected, but will not print.  Changed back to old provider.  Installed printer wirelessly, which it was before.  Connected, but will not print.  PC, Windows 7, is connected directly to the modem.  Every time I try to print I receive an error message stating, "In order to print, I must install a printer."  When I go to "Devices & Printers" and click on "Add Printer" I receive a message stating "Access Denied."  I've run every diagnostic test recommended.  Please help.  Thank you.

teddo... 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@teddo

Welcome to the HP Forums. I would be happy to help you with your HP Photosmart C6180 All-in-One printer. I understand that you are unable to connect the printer to the computer and you have already done some preliminary troubleshooting. 

Don't worry though as I have a few steps to determine the issue and find a solution as well,

• Restart the computer, printer, and router.
  • Manually connect the printer to your network.
  • Temporarily disable firewall software on the computer.
  • Uninstall and reinstall the HP driver and software.

Click here to refer the document and perform troubleshooting steps to fix this issue.

If the issue is resolved and you appreciate my help,

Please click the "Accept as Solution" button and the "Thumbs Up".

Let me know how you make out.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your assistance, however, I have done everything recommended.  At this time, the printer is connected directly to the pc by USB.  The installation was completed, the printer icon appears under devices and the printer is designated as the default printer.  When prompted to print and scan test pages, I was able to successfully perform those functions.  For all purposes, this printer shows to be fully operational, but it isn't! 

Under Devices and Printers there is a yellow trinagle icon with an exclamation point that appears with the large printer icon, as well as the CPU indicating troubleshooting needs to performed on each.  I have done this repeatedly to no avail.  When I attempt to print a document, I receive an eroor message stating "Before you can perform print-related tasks such as page set up or printing a document, you need to install a printer."  If I attempt to install a printer by clicking on "Add a printer" under devices and printers, I receive an error message stating "Windows can't open Add Printer.  Access is denied."  This, in spite of the fact the printer is wired directly to the pc via USB and shows to be installed.

Will you or someone please walk me through opening the system, network and printer configurations to ensure everything is aligned properly to support the use of this printer, any printer.  Which I find absolutely bizarre, as it is the same printer I have been using for ten years!  There is a disconnect somewhere, which I am sure is a simple fix but one that is not identified through the traditional means of troubleshooting.  And, at this point, I'm not sure I would be able to install any printer.

Note:  I am logged in as the Administrator, but am being denied access to install a printer.  When I attempt to change permissions, I am also being denied access.

***I ask that you please do not just through generic, garden variety troubleshooting fixes out there.  My hope is this issue I present will be thought provoking!  Please read carefully and attempt to make an in depth diagnosis.  View it as a challenge, if you will.  I've already had many others suggest, "Blah, blah, blah...blah, blah...blah, blah, blah"  and then give up because it didn't work.

Thank you, again, for your time and effort, I greatly appreciate it!

teddo...

HP Recommended

@teddo

Thanks for the reply.

Superb job on trying the different steps to isolate the issue.

I understand the situation well.

Giving permission to ENUM will fix the issue.

Follow these steps to give full control.

• First uninstall the printer software.
  • Press windows + R, Run dialog box will open.
  • Type regedit and click ok, registries page will open.
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum.
  • Right click on Enum and click on permissions.
  • Click on ADD and add administrator and allow full control to all the users in the list.i
  • Reinstall the printer software.

Let me know how it goes.

I realize this is a lot of things to consider, but I hope it helps,

And if you feel I have answered your question and concerns,

Please mark this post as a solution accepted and Kudos would also be appreciated.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.