Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@NickyR wrote:

I purchased my HP 2050 J510a a month before I started working abroad and subsequently placed it in storage.  On moving to Canada recently I packed it up and took it with me as the printer had the following message on the serial number sticker stuck on the back of the printer.  (This Class B digital apparatus complies wtith Canadian ICES-003).  Now I dont know what that means but assumed that the printer would work in Canada!  Boy was I wrong!  I browsed the HP website and established that the correct compatable new cartridge is 61.  So I went to the store and purchased both the black & tri-colour cartridge but it still does not work.  I beleive it has something to do with the print region code that needs to be changed so that i can use the printer in Canada.  Is there someone that can help me with this??

You will need to Contact HP to request a "Regionalization Reset". There should not be any charge for this, it is covered as part of the cartridge warranty. You will need to have access to your computer and printer while on the line with HP. You will also need to have a set of cartridges for the new region, once the reset is complete cartridges from the original region will no longer work.  HP's web page on the subject is here.

From a post by Sunshyn2005, to contact HP Support see the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number

Case number and phone number appear.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Bob,
Thanks for all the info so far in this thread, but I'm not fixed yet!

The problem with my HP C8180 Printer/Scanner/Copier is that it had the dreaded "Ink System Error".
I tried to replace the capacitors but nay have inadvertantly damaged the board.  I have purchase a new board from "AliExpress" and fitted it. 

The problem is it is obviously set to Region US (02 cartridge) as a default.  I have European 363 cartidges.
I have been in contact with HP SUPPORT and spoken to a very helpful gent called "Max".
I told him I was willing to purchase a brand new set of "Genuine HP 363 Cartridges" but  he also stated that I'd need a genuine set of US 02 cartridges as well, before we start.
Unlike others, I have not moved with my machine between regions!  A set of 02 cartridges would be no good to me (unless I used them first) and would only delay the swiching process.  Is there a way you are aware of that the REGION CHANGE could be applied without the need for the 02 cartridges?
Hope it all makes sense!
Iain

HP Recommended

@MartiniUK wrote:

Bob,
Thanksfor all the info so far in this thread but I'm not fixed yet!

The problem with my HP C8180 Printer Scanner Copier is that it had the dreaded "Ink System Error".
I tried toreplace the capacitors but nay have inadvertantly damaged the board.  I have purchase a new board from "AliExpress" and fitted it. 

The problem is it is obviously set to Region US (02 cartridge) as a default.  I have European 363 cartidges.
I have been in contact with HP SUPPORT and spoken to a very helpful gent called "Max".
I told him I was willing to purchase a brand new set of "Genuine HP 363 Cartridges" but  he also stated that I'd need a genuine set of US 02 cartridges as well, before we start.
Unlike others, I have not moved with my machine between regions!  A set of 02 cartridges would be no good to me (unless I used them first) and would only delay the swiching process.  Is there a way you are aware of that the REGION CHANGE could be applied without the need for the 02 cartridges?
Hope it all makes sense!
Iain

The "new" board you bought appears to not be new, but taken from a printer that was originally used in a region that uses the 02 cartridges.  You might try contacting your dealer and ask for a new board or one regionalized to the 363 cartridges.  A new printer (or new system board) will accept any region's cartridges until it has printed a certain number of pages, it then sets itself to that region.

Another possibility would be to try HP Support once more.  Some printers are capable of printing the test pages (that are required for the reset) even with cartridges from the wrong region.  

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Bob,
Thanks for your reply.  That makes  a lot of sense as it saves HP from shipping regionalised machines!

I've sent for a cheap, partly used set of 02 cartridges from eBay in the states to help me with my task.
I'll wait until they arrive and then perservere to get this machine running again as it is too good to throw away!
Thanks,

Iain

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.