Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Officejet 8600 - model N911a
macOS 10.12 Sierra

I am trying to print on 110# cardstock - and the printer keeps telling me it's out of paper! I know it's in there - but I can't get it to print on cardstock!

HELP!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please refer document below to print on cardstock.

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21718?locale=en_US

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

First check if the paper meets the requirement, use the document below

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-retail-rp7-10.4-inch-customer-display/4322914/model/4323658/d...

Now check if the paper is placed with right orientation both in the tray and in the application you are printing from (Potrait or Landscape)

If there is a mismatch is settings, there is a possibility the paper will not be picked up and error will be out of paper.

*Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left*
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue
HP Recommended

I am failing to see how the link to the Apple page is showing me how to print on cardstock?  What am I supposed to change the settings to be?  When I put the "Media and Quality" to be BEST - it still won't print cardstock.

Can you please walk me through the steps and/or settings that need to be done to print on 110# cardstock (and not just send a generic link)?

Thank you!

HP Recommended

I am printing on 8 1/2 x 11 - 110# cardstock - in portrait.  There are no funky requirements - just need to get it printed!

HP Recommended

Hello,

Sometimes the Out of Paper message on the printer is indicating that the specific size and type of paper you want to print on is not in the printer.  This information comes from the print job when you select "Print" on your printer.

One thing to check is if you configured the size and type on the printer tray? Usually this is configured on the printer control panel. Typically after the media is loaded and the tray is closed, the printer will display a screen showing a size and type.  Does that size and type match what you are looking to print? You should be able to change the values for size and type if they are not correct.

I believe the MacOS should then query the printer to obtain the tray configurations. You can select the tray where the media is loaded. In general, if the settings on the print job (on the computer) match the printer settings for the tray - the printer should print.

Also - I checked the user manual and it appears that Tray 2 only supports plain media. If you have a tray 2 and are using it  to try to print cardstock -  that may be the problem.

Hope that helps,

Jay_U

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hello there,

I looked at the specs for your printer, and it does look like it supports that cardstock size, but does not specify the weight. Still, you can go to HP Printers - Print Driver Settings Guide (Mac) for steps to open the driver and select the print job type, then select the tray, paper size, and type for your print job. 

Also, try removing all paper from the trays, restart the printer, then reload the paper - noting the allowed paper stack height and making sure the page width sliders are resting next to the paper edges - to see if that resolves any error states.

Let us know if this helps.

I work on behalf of HP and these opinions are my own.

HP Recommended

Hi tv21,

One of the hypothesis could be No Pick, whereby printer is not able to pick up the media which could be probably due to paper weight, dust on pick tire & etc.

Try to load the paper in lower stack, probably 5 sheets. Lower the paper stack likelihood to pick easier.

Note: 110# cardstock is type of heavy paper.

Thanks

Regards

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.