Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Bought this Officejet Pro 8600 to replace my Officejet 4500.  By and large the 8600 is a huge improvement over the 4500, but it is lacking one significant feature (at least to me).

With the 4500 I was able to place several photos on the scan table, scan them all at once, and the HP Solution software would detect the individual photos generate a file for each one.  If it didn't you have the opportunity to add new selections or even remove selections.

But on the 8600, using the HP Printer Assistant (which reminds me of old Windows 3.1 applications), that feature is missing.  I called the Tech Support line, and through a tortuous ordeal of repeating myself multiple times, he finally understood that this was a software issue.  At that point he tossed in the towel, saying it's a software issue and nothing can be done.

HP Solution Center doesn't work with the 8600.  Appearently it worked on the previous model.

So I come here, hoping to learn different.  Cause perhaps the person I spoke with really didn't have a clue.  Are my only two options to buy some other piece of software or return this HP and get a different brand?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Seems this issue has been going on for years.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Scanning-Faxing-and-Copying/How-to-scan-several-photos-and-save-them-in...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Scanning-Faxing-and-Copying/Scan-multiple-photos-HP8600/td-p/2334005

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Scanning-Faxing-and-Copying/Scan-multiple-photos-and-save-them-individu...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Scanning-Faxing-and-Copying/Officejet-8600-pro-isn-t-scanning-individua...

I found some software called VueScan (www.hamrick.com).  I have used the trial, and appears to work but the interface is a bit clunky and costs $40.

This thread provides a link to a decent piece of software (ScanSpeeder) that supposedly gives the ability, but costs $30.  I have tried it and it is very slick.  It may just allow me to keep this printer!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Scanning-Faxing-and-Copying/Scan-Multiple-Photos/td-p/1731579

The HP 8600 is a superior MFP, but the software is a huge step back.

HP Recommended

There are 3 solutions, but none are from HP:

First one was offered by Jason_h on this forum thread .  While I love any kudos you give me for this, please be sure to give him  kudos as well; this is not my solution. I only copied it here for your convenience).  It's a workaround solution to your issue that even my little sister knew about (she wasn't available to ask until later).  Please take a look at the information in the link provided below:

http://francoismalan.com/2013/01/how-to-batch-separate-crop-multiple-scanned-photos/

This will show you how to batch scan and separate photo files using GIMP which is a free downloadable software.

The second solution I found on another forum thread by Caritana (again give her the kudos for this) using a software called Autosplitter, but I don't know if this is free or not (haven't tried it since I have both GIMP and Photoshop on my computer and they both batch photos)

The third solution is one I'm offering. It isn't free but will save you the most amount of time...because you aren't the one doing the work: send your negatives, photos, slides, polaroids, and so on to a scanning company and have them digitally put it on a DVD for you (there are some companies that can even copy 8 mm films, VHS cassettes and other similar media). The one I was the most impressed with both in price and what they offered is ScanCafe. They have rave reviews and a decent price--$0.29-0.22 per photo (I've read it can be as cheap as $0.19 if you sign up for their emailed coupon)--and that price includes  retouching your photo/negatives. There are some other services that will only scan your photos and charge extra to retouch them. (btw I am not a ScanCafe employee, just someone who did her research on several services and was the most impressed with them).

HP Recommended

Sorry, made a few boo boos...

I know this is an old post and giving solution would no longer be needed, but someone like me MAY ask the question again.

Well, you are all right, HP failed miserably in this piece of software, but here's what I found.

It's a bit clunky, but it works and no additional software is needed!

Place all photos on the bed, scan the whole bed.

Crop a photo, click the color icon ("add new image...") below the rotation icons, crop and do it again and keep doing so until all your photos are cropped, then after the last photo is cropped click save.

The software WILL save each photo separately with their own scan # for name!

Sorry for the editing, sometimes I can't think streight!

Hope this helps someone!

Cheers!

HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks for using the forum.

There's no need to purchase any software.  Can you download this latest software from HP and then follow the video attached to scan multiple photos:

HP Scan Extended

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/scanners/HPScanExt/HPScanExt.msi

Once it's downloaded and installed, go to Start > All Programs > HP > HP Scan Extended > Run "HP Scan Extended"

Scanning Multiple Photos on HP AiO Printers

https://goo.gl/Um22VK

Hope that helps!

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply!

Couple questions/comments if I may...

I have my HP software updating automaticaly, why did it not update my old version?

Also, the new "extended" version installed fine, but never created a shortcuat, so I had to do it manually.

Also, it does NOT exist in my old application as the video shows, scanning is still the old version.

So now I have two HP apps for scanning!

I also came up w/a better version than the video...

rather then hitting "create new image" hit the + button before  you hit the "create new image".

This keeps the cropping marque, so if you have several same size/orientation photos, just move the marque around.

Does two things, maintaines pretty much same size photos AND cuts down cropping work!

BTW: This is not much different then what I described on my post.

Thanks again for your help!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.

This is a Standalone scan software with new User interface.  It will not automatically update your old software.

Anyway, it's what we have today.

There are techicall reasons why it's different from the past, but more pros than cons.

Thanks.

Have a nice day!

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

Yes, most definitely more pros then cons!

Thank you!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.