cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Ampeli
Level 1
3 2 0 4
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Scanner Problem - turn off then on again

HP Recommended
Envy 5640
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Suddenly unable to scan or copy - with printer error message:

'Scanner Problem

Turn the printer off, and then turn it on again. If the problem persists, the scanner has become damaged and cannot copy or scan.'

Remedies tried:

Switching off (multiple times). Unplugging (multiple times). Checked USB cable. Changed USB socket used on PC. Rebooted PC (multiple times). Updated HP software (using EN5640_Full_WebPack_1107.exe). Print and Scan Doctor. Uninstalled and reinstalled driver software. Ran HP Scan Extended software.

I'm using Instant Ink. All has been working normally for several months. Printer is under a year old.

Print and Scan Doctor shows a 'Driver Check' problem, then a 'Device Status' problem and did not perform a Windows WIA Scan or HP Twain Scan with messages like 'This tool is unable to solve the problem, even after a Restart'.

Is it terminal?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
A4Apollo
Retired
Retired
17,747 17,730 1,301 2,076
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi! @Ampeli, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand you have scanner issues with your printer.

Don't worry I'd like to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

Are you able to make a copy from your printer?

Please try the steps recommended below.

Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) is a service in the Windows operating system that supports communication between the computer and scanners. If WIA is not activated, scan jobs can fail.
Search Windows for view local services, and then click the View local services Control panel setting in the list of results.
The Services window opens.
Find Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) in the Name column and look at the Status and Startup type values.
If the status is 'Started' and the Startup type is 'Automatic', WIA is running correctly. Skip to the next step.
If the status is 'Disabled', right-click Windows Image Acquisition (WIA), click Properties, click the General tab, click Start under the Service status, and then select Automatic from the Startup type dropdown menu.
   NOTE:
If you cannot start WIA, make sure the following services are also Started and set as the Automatic startup type.
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Shell Hardware Detection
RPC Endpoint Mapper
DCOM Server Process Launcher
Try to scan.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot Network Scanner Connection Error on your PC.

Let me know if this works!

Have a beautiful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Ampeli
Author
Level 1
3 2 0 4
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks MrRobot for your advice...

As instructed I went to Local Services > Windows Image Acquision which was set on 'Running' and 'Automatic'. I still cannot scan. I cannot copy either. Just can't get the printer to lose the 'Turn printer off, and then turn it on again' message.

0 Kudos
A4Apollo
Retired
Retired
17,747 17,730 1,301 2,076
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Ampeli, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

Since you are unable to scan or copy from your printer.

It looks to be a hardware issue with the printer, please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

Have a great day ahead!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation