Note on archived topics.
12-15-2008 08:06 PM
Can anyone help? I go to launch my Hp Director software to scan a document and an error message appears that says "An error occurred communicating with the scanning device. Please ensure that the scanning device is connected properly and try again." This has happened before but I can't remember the steps performed on the Menu of the scanner. Does anyone know how to get the computer and Laserjet 2840 to communicate?
01-14-2009 09:41 AM
Download the HP LaserJet Fix Scan Utility : Fixes errorrs: "Can't Communicate", "Device Not Connected", or "HPImaging Device Could Not Be Initialized" messages when scanning due to the scanner port being set incorrectly or the IP Address being changed in a network environment.
01-14-2009 05:34 PM - last edited on 04-18-2016 09:39 AM by OscarFuentes
07-22-2010 09:43 AM
I also have a communication problem with the "error message" about not communicating on my computer screen. However, the All-in-One (HP 7310) shows a message that scanning software is not installed.
When I try and re-install the software from the CD, the HP software tells me that there is hardware recognition and I don't need to install, but gives me no options to repair.
I downloaded the utility for scanning from HP and run it. It shows that no scanning software is installed. Any suggestions.
12-31-2010 02:24 PM - last edited on 12-31-2010 03:57 PM by MrMatthew
I have the same problem. However, that "fixit" software is not for my scanner. I have an hp flatbed scanjet 4600. It worked on my old computer. I bought a new computer about a month ago, installed the software from the CD, and when I try to use the scanner, I get that dredded message: "An error occurred communicating with the scanning device. Please ensure that the scanning device is connected properly and try again."
Is there a solution? My computer is a pretty decent, new PC laptop, running Windows 7 Professional.
10-15-2011 09:05 AM - last edited on 04-18-2016 02:56 PM by OscarFuentes
@AlmostThere wrote:If the error message appears on the computer while scanning from a networked product, click this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00897542. If with USB, click this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00040499Regards,AlmostThere
03-04-2017 09:34 PM
How to Fix the HP Scanner Communication Problem – A Microsoft Issue, Not a Scanner Issue
(This has only been tested with Windows 10, but try it for Win 7 and 8. It also only works with the ‘Microsoft Scanner’ App. It does not fix the HP CLJM scnner software issue.)
- In Windows 10, right click the start button and select ‘Computer Management’. Another way to get to this is by right clicking on the ‘This PC’ icon (or ‘My Computer’ in earlier versions of Windows).
- Once Computer Management pops open, select ‘Services and Applications’ then ‘Services’.
- Scroll down the list and click on ‘Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)’. Double click on it to open a pane containing several tabs to open the ‘Properties’ menu.
- Select the ‘General’ tab and ensure the ‘Startup Type’ is set to ‘Automatic’.
- Select the ‘Recovery’ tab.
- Set the ‘First Failure’, ‘Second failure’, and ‘Subsequent failure’ pulldowns to
‘Restart the Service’.
- After making the above changes, hit ‘Okay’ then close the ‘Computer Management’ window; the settings are saved. Now for an experiment...
- Turn off your printer. This will remove communication to the computer.
- Launch any scanner software, either Microsoft Scanner or HP CLJM. The scanner should show a communication failure.
- Turn the printer back on, let it fully initialize, and it should now communicate.
For further specifics, see the following link on HP’s support site, Step 7.
So far, this is the only fix that appears to be permanent. Time will tell…