Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Office Jet 3830
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Will not print in color.  Checked ink cartridges.  When I select the copy icon on the printer the "start color" box is indicated, and when I print a test copy, there is color on that test copy.  But when I try to print a Word document with color in it, it only prints in black and white.  Help.  I've exhausted my "expertise," which is limited anyway.  I'm working on a newsletter that is way past due.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Jan844,

Good Day.   Thank you for stopping by the HP forums. I reviewed the post regarding issues with printing in color. I will be glad to assist you here. 🙂

Superb description and splendid diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

I would require more information regarding this.

• Did this happen after a software or windows update? Do you remember?
  • Did you change any printer settings on the computer?

For a start, please make on more test copy in color from the printer from the flatbed without any intervention from the computer.

If it copies fine, it is just a setting that needs to be checked.

1. In your software application, click Print.
  2. Select your printer from the list of available printers.
  3. Click the option that opens the Printer Properties dialog box.

Depending on your software application, this button might be called PropertiesOptionsPrinter SetupPrinter PropertiesPrinter, or Preferences.

1. On the properties window, click the Paper/Quality or Features tab, depending on your software.
  2. Also, check if printing only in black is selected. If it is, please uncheck it. Also please check any box that says print in color.
  • On your computer, search Windows for Devices and Printers.
  • Right-click your printer, and then select Printing Preferences from the drop-down list.
  • Select your printer again, and then click the Paper/Quality or Features tab, depending on your software.
  • To print in color, change one of the following settings depending on what displays.
  • Click Advanced, click Print in Grayscale, and then deselect Black Ink Only or uncheck it.
  • Click the Black & White button and uncheck any option where only printing in black is selected if the option is found.Otherwise, ignore this step.

If this does not fix the issue, Please check this link: Black/ Color Ink Not Printing and Other Print Quality Issues and look up the option "Color and black & white settings" This should help you to change the settings back to color and fix the issue.

If the problem persists then try these steps:

Please uninstall the printer drivers by following these steps:

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Remove all instances of the same.
  • Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers. 

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, please. Please note that I am not overloading you with a lot of troubleshooting steps.

Instead, just like you, I am eager to ensure that the problem gets resolved. So I am providing you with more resources and information at your disposal to deal with the situation better.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a superb week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Jan844,

Good Day.   Thank you for stopping by the HP forums. I reviewed the post regarding issues with printing in color. I will be glad to assist you here. 🙂

Superb description and splendid diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

I would require more information regarding this.

• Did this happen after a software or windows update? Do you remember?
  • Did you change any printer settings on the computer?

For a start, please make on more test copy in color from the printer from the flatbed without any intervention from the computer.

If it copies fine, it is just a setting that needs to be checked.

1. In your software application, click Print.
  2. Select your printer from the list of available printers.
  3. Click the option that opens the Printer Properties dialog box.

Depending on your software application, this button might be called PropertiesOptionsPrinter SetupPrinter PropertiesPrinter, or Preferences.

1. On the properties window, click the Paper/Quality or Features tab, depending on your software.
  2. Also, check if printing only in black is selected. If it is, please uncheck it. Also please check any box that says print in color.
  • On your computer, search Windows for Devices and Printers.
  • Right-click your printer, and then select Printing Preferences from the drop-down list.
  • Select your printer again, and then click the Paper/Quality or Features tab, depending on your software.
  • To print in color, change one of the following settings depending on what displays.
  • Click Advanced, click Print in Grayscale, and then deselect Black Ink Only or uncheck it.
  • Click the Black & White button and uncheck any option where only printing in black is selected if the option is found.Otherwise, ignore this step.

If this does not fix the issue, Please check this link: Black/ Color Ink Not Printing and Other Print Quality Issues and look up the option "Color and black & white settings" This should help you to change the settings back to color and fix the issue.

If the problem persists then try these steps:

Please uninstall the printer drivers by following these steps:

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Remove all instances of the same.
  • Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers. 

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, please. Please note that I am not overloading you with a lot of troubleshooting steps.

Instead, just like you, I am eager to ensure that the problem gets resolved. So I am providing you with more resources and information at your disposal to deal with the situation better.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a superb week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.