Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a HP CM1415FNW printer. I need to scan and transfert files on my usb key. Actually, the printer can read the keys smaller than 8GB, above it can't read.

There is a solution ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

According to this manual on the walk up USB feature, the printer doesn't support USB flash drives bigger than 2GB, so it's luck that the 8GB one is working.  You could try doing a firmware update and see if that gets the 16GB one working, but more than likely it won't help.  If you need help with the firmware update, let me know what OS your using and I'll link you the latest version.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi there chinto;

I will research this to see there is something as a limitation of printer.

I will power cycle the printer the printer and try immediately. 

Reset the printer

1. Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the product.
  2. With the product turned on , disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.
  3. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  4. Wait at least 15 seconds.
  5. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  6. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.
  7. If the product does not turn on by itself, press the Power button ( ) to turn it on.

Per this document the which is actual manual of the printer in page 240

talks about   The USB Flash Drive menu does not open when you insert the USB
accessory go to this link http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01945579.pdf

it refer to the file formats that the printer supports list FAT as the support file format I will check the format of the usb drive that you are using to see if it is support by the Format of the current drive you are using.

Hope this helps!

RobertoR

You can say THANKS by clicking the KUDOS STAR. If my suggestion resolves your issue Mark as a "SOLUTION" this way others can benefit Thanks in Advance! :OpenSmile:
HP Recommended

Thank but it's always the same thing. I have 2 usb key, one at 16 GO and an other at 8GO. the 2 usb keys have the same format Fat 32.
I can just use the 8 GO.
The printer don't work with my 16GO. Why ?

Did you think that the limit for read is 8 GO ? In the documentation there are not any limitation for the sizes.

Thank you for your help 

HP Recommended

According to this manual on the walk up USB feature, the printer doesn't support USB flash drives bigger than 2GB, so it's luck that the 8GB one is working.  You could try doing a firmware update and see if that gets the 16GB one working, but more than likely it won't help.  If you need help with the firmware update, let me know what OS your using and I'll link you the latest version.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

I was going to scan to my usb drive. Unfortunately, I get a message stating to "insert a usb drive" when it has already there. I go through my menu and get a message that my "usb drive is disabled" and to check with the administartor.

I have tried turning the printer off and then back in and also restoring the defaults and several other usb drives and nothing works!!!. I still get the same message as it does not recognize the usb drive.

What was wierd I had scanned a document earlier in the day with the same usb drive and trying to use the same usb drive the printer won't recognize their is a USB drive already inserted. HELP !!!!

HP Recommended

I will gladly try to assist with getting the scan to USB to work for you but I have a few questions:

1. Does the USB flash drive have a light on it to let you know it is working when you plug it in?  

2. Can you access files on the same USB drive from a computer (this is just to ensure the problem is not the flash drive)?

3. You are referring to the LaserJet CM1415fnw printer, is that correct?

4. Is this printer connected to your PC USB, wireless, or Ethernet?

There is a firmware update available for this printer.  If you go to www.hp.com/support and type in the printer's name, it will take you to a page to select your computer's operating system and then select firmware below that.  If this does not help, answer the above questions for me please.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
HP Recommended

Reply to your questions:

1. Yes the flash drive light flashes when I put it in the USB slot of the printer.

2. Yes I can read the information that is on the flash drive from my laptop

3. Yes same printer in your response to my question

4. Printer is connected wireless.

Update info.....moved the files on the flash drive to the computer.Reformated the flash drive and it worked for two scans and then the printer would not recognize the flash drive.

HP Recommended

Interesting.  It is good to know that the USB led light is flashing when you insert it but even after only two scans it stops working again is what concerns me.  I do know of a reset that should return the printer to a like-new condition but this will remove any saved fax numbers and you will have to set it back up onto the wireless network.  Since I cannot find any specific troubleshooting documentation, you have verified you have tried most of the steps I would have you do anyway.  

Do you want me to private message you the reset?  Read this post by bob_headrick titled "Printer Resets: What You Should Know," and let me know if you are still interested.

HP Recommended

My personal email is {Private Information Removed}. Please contact through that.

Deane

HP Recommended

Perhaps this link will be of some assistance:

--How to Send a Private Message--

When you view this post, in the upper-right hand of the website is an envelope with the number 1 next to it.  Click on that for further instructions. 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.