Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8500 A909A
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

I tried to install non HP rechargeable ink cartridge in my Officejet Pro 8500 A909A printer but error messages keep popping up to let me know the printer won't accept non HP cartridges. 

The printer does't print unless I put in HP cartridges. Is this legal?  Is there some way to bypass this problem?

thanks, 

Josephina

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hey There! @Josephina, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand using refilled ink cartridges on your printer you are getting an error.

Don't worry I'd like to help you out.

Does your printer work with original ink cartridges?

Open the cartridge cover.
Check for any missing cartridges.
If cartridges are missing, skip to the solution to replace them.
If no cartridges are missing, continue to the next steps to inspect the problem cartridges.
Grasp the cartridge with low ink between the thumb and forefinger, and then pull it out of the slot.
Examine the cartridge for visible damage.
If there is damage, skip to the solution to replace the cartridge.
If it seems to be undamaged, continue on to the next step to reinstall the cartridge.
Align the cartridge with its color-coded slot, and then insert the cartridge into the slot. Press down firmly on the cartridge to ensure proper contact.
If the control panel error message indicates more than one cartridge, repeat steps to remove, inspect, and then reinsert the cartridges.
Close the cartridge cover.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot ink cartridge issues.

Also, try performing a semi full reset on your printer and check if it helps.

Since the steps to perform semi full reset is confidential I will send you the steps in a private message, please watch your inbox for more information.

If the issue still persists after semi-full reset, it is an issue with ink cartridge or printer, please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

Please let me know the outcome.

Have a beautiful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.