Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP7510
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Got the printer today and it works well with good quality output.  However if I try to print a MS Word document that contains a full size picture the picture comes out at about 120% full size and overflows off  the page.  Any ideas ?  I am an experienced user and have tried all the usual remedies.  OS is Windows 10 MSword is 2003 (yes I know it's old :-))

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Bernard_S

Odd.

Rats.

Office Word 2003 is no longer supported.  The Windows 10 File System files and libraries, and the links that bridge dependencies (programs needed by Office and Printer softwares) have changed - "something" might be missing or corrupted.

Without regard to the new Windows 10 File System and the way it "sees" a Word 2003 document, the issue might be attributed to the printer program itself -- a tiny missing instruction that is not correctly translating image size, position, boundaries.

One or more of the following might have an impact -- results, of course, depend on the (as yet unknown) underlying cause of the problem.  If one of the changes trigger an internal file change -- or the manner in which the document and image are translated by the printer software -- then that change may help resolve the issue.

Ideas - hopefully these apply to your Vintage Word:

• If you have not done so, check the line spacing on either side of the image -- Dragon document mentions this and (as I recall) provides an example.

• Copy the image to a new name .jpg > Open the image in Paint (real Paint, not "fresh") > set up as if you are going to print and check the size, boundaries, parameters.  Why use Paint instead of Picasso?  Paint is Windows.  Picasso is not.  If you like, print the image (although I doubt it will be necessary).  Place (insert) that "new" file into your document in place of the original image.

• Try removing the image temporarily > save close the document > Open and Insert the image back into place.  If the image is small enough (fits within left / right margins), left click on the image and use the "Decrease / Increase Indent" arrows to slide the image a bit to one side or the other.

• Switch on all the document markings -- look for oddities.  Anchor points in images might provide a clue about why the image is printing "out of bounds".

• Set the margins to Narrow - print one of the pages on which the errant image is located.

• Copy the document contents into a WordPad document > save the contents > print a page that provides one of the problem images.  Check the result.

• If you are using "odd fonts", and perhaps even if you are not doing so, be sure you embed those fonts into the document.

• Word Setting for Printing Options:

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers >

Right-Click Printer > Printing Preferences > tab Layout > Advanced >

Under Printer Features > Preserve Layout (select) Yes > OK

• If all else fails, output the document to a PDF file and print that -- or print the PDF file as an image.

I have likely missed something -- if I "find it", I will post back.

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Bernard_S

Word, even "old" Word prefers that you use "Insert" as opposed to "cut and paste" when placing images (or tables) into a document.

The following relates to newer Office versions than Word 2003 -- the setups may be similar:

If you have a copy of the image in your File System (in a folder):

Open Word document > find image > Right-Click and cut the image out of the document >

Click Insert > Pictures > open the appropriate folder and select the image file > Insert the image

If you do not have a copy of the image in your File System (in a folder):

Open Word document > find image > Right-Click image > Save as Picture (some-filename.jpg) >

Right-Click the image and "cut" the image out of the document >

Click Insert > Pictures > open the appropriate folder and select the image file > Insert the image

Once the document is inserted, Right-Click on the image > Size and Position > ensure the "Aspect Ratio" button is enabled > Adjust size (percentage) as desired.

Less accurate, but usable: Left-Click on the inserted image > grab a corner with the mouse > adjust image size larger or smaller.

Less obvious - may have an impact:

The appearance of inserted images is affected by screen resolution.  Select a default target screen size.

File > Options > Advanced > scroll down > Under General > Click Web Options > tab Pictures >>

Under Target Monitor > Select a target screen size resolution and Pixels per inch > OK > OK

Help, Suggestions, and examples:

Manage Print Output with Print Preview

Sections, various - including:

• Preparation
  • Microsoft Office Word - Options, Tricks, Observations
    • Web Image Placement Size Default
    • Word Images / Art / Words are Chopped
    • Images in Word do not print – or images print as black boxes

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi.  Thanks for the advice, the pictures were inserted rather than cut and paste.  The weird thing is that the document printed perfectly on my old (dare I say it) Epson B1100 printer.  But you are right it must be something to do with the way Word is outputting the picture sizes.  If I take exactly the same pic and print it using Picasa then it is fine.  In Word the right side and the bottom are gone.  The other weird thing is that in print preview it's fine.   I'll have a further play. :generic:

HP Recommended

@Bernard_S

Odd.

Rats.

Office Word 2003 is no longer supported.  The Windows 10 File System files and libraries, and the links that bridge dependencies (programs needed by Office and Printer softwares) have changed - "something" might be missing or corrupted.

Without regard to the new Windows 10 File System and the way it "sees" a Word 2003 document, the issue might be attributed to the printer program itself -- a tiny missing instruction that is not correctly translating image size, position, boundaries.

One or more of the following might have an impact -- results, of course, depend on the (as yet unknown) underlying cause of the problem.  If one of the changes trigger an internal file change -- or the manner in which the document and image are translated by the printer software -- then that change may help resolve the issue.

Ideas - hopefully these apply to your Vintage Word:

• If you have not done so, check the line spacing on either side of the image -- Dragon document mentions this and (as I recall) provides an example.

• Copy the image to a new name .jpg > Open the image in Paint (real Paint, not "fresh") > set up as if you are going to print and check the size, boundaries, parameters.  Why use Paint instead of Picasso?  Paint is Windows.  Picasso is not.  If you like, print the image (although I doubt it will be necessary).  Place (insert) that "new" file into your document in place of the original image.

• Try removing the image temporarily > save close the document > Open and Insert the image back into place.  If the image is small enough (fits within left / right margins), left click on the image and use the "Decrease / Increase Indent" arrows to slide the image a bit to one side or the other.

• Switch on all the document markings -- look for oddities.  Anchor points in images might provide a clue about why the image is printing "out of bounds".

• Set the margins to Narrow - print one of the pages on which the errant image is located.

• Copy the document contents into a WordPad document > save the contents > print a page that provides one of the problem images.  Check the result.

• If you are using "odd fonts", and perhaps even if you are not doing so, be sure you embed those fonts into the document.

• Word Setting for Printing Options:

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers >

Right-Click Printer > Printing Preferences > tab Layout > Advanced >

Under Printer Features > Preserve Layout (select) Yes > OK

• If all else fails, output the document to a PDF file and print that -- or print the PDF file as an image.

I have likely missed something -- if I "find it", I will post back.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Try opening the picture in Microsoft  Office Picture Manager   

A double click on the picture usually opens it in that program, If not right click on the picture and chose Open With and that should be an option. 

Once in MOPM

Click on Pictures  on the top bar  

Click on Resize.

On the right hand side Click on option Percentage of Original  width X height

It will default to  100%   I normally change the new size to 75% and that usually works.  

If I start with a picture that is  940 X  788  it will become   705 X  591

SAVE the picture as a new picture with a name different than the original

In Word Insert the new picture.   

If it is still too large go through the same process with the new picture, but in most cases, the 75% will work 

I print a sample in black until I get it right to save on my color ink. 

Good Luck

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.