Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I just set up a new Officejet Pro 8600 e-Print All-in-One Printer. The salesman told me that photo paper is loaded in the tray on the top of the printer. I tried that and have been unable to get the printer to use that paper, it goes to the paper tray on the bottom of the machine. When I placed the photo paper there, the printer would not load the photo paper and displayed an "out of paper" message. I would like to print an 8x10 photo. I am using Windows 7 and have tried printing from both Windows Media and Adobe Photoshop Elements 9, both in 64-bit. Any help available will be greatly appreciated. I am trying to print from an emailed photo of my husband's mentor, who passed away last week. Please help me.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

My suggestion: Use HP Photo Creators, this software is tailored to use on HP printers. Here is how, from page #26 of its manual, one point to note: point #4.

Load cards and photo paper

To load cards and photo paper Use these instructions to load photo paper.
1. Pull out Tray 1.
2. Insert the media print-side down in the center of the tray. Make sure the stack of media aligns with the line on the width guide, and is not higher than the paper stack line on the guide.
3. Slide the media guides in the tray to adjust them for the media size that you have loaded, and then reinsert the tray.
4. Pull out the extension on the output tray.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

banhien, thank you for your response. Unfortunately, I had looked up what to do in the manual when I first had trouble and those instructions did not solve my problem. I have loaded my photo paper in tray 1 multiple times with no success. With 25 years of administrative experience I am meticulous about how I load paper to prevent jams so I know I loaded the paper correctly. I changed the settings to professional photo paper, which is what I was using and after my question was posted I noticed on the top sheet that it looks like the rollers are trying to grab the paper, and instead of pulling it into the printer, they are abrading the paper. It appears there is a discrepancy between the paper thickness and the settings but I don't know what else to set.

HP Recommended

I absolutely agree with the description of this issue. I also agree that there does not seem to be an easy solution. I got this printer recently rather than a laser to print photos well. This is pretty frustrating.

HP Recommended
pull out the tray, in the front of the tray is a small button, push it in. The bracket underneath the paper should pop up, pushing the photo paper upward. Do that several times. Apparently, that bracket gets 'sticky on new HP printer. I have the very same problem that drove me crazy. After you did that several times, reinsert the tray back in (make sure the bracket is in a down position), you should hear a 'click' sound when you pushed in all the way, indicating that bracket is now in a 'up' position. Try to print photo now. You might need to repeat that process later when the bracket become stuck again. I have a picture posted at the bottom of here (it takes a while to load because it is large JPG file) : http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Printing-Questions/Officejet-Pro-8600-N911a-will-not-feed-photo-p...
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.