Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi grace2u

I would suggest you contact HP phone support, as they may replace your photo black for a regular black.

Please let me know how you get on..

Kind Regards

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

I just had a discussion with both HP and Sams Club.  The sign below the printer I bought, states a 564XL cartridge.  So, I bought a package that included three color carts. plus a photo black.  Except the Photo Black is for another printer.  The black that I need for my Photo Smart Plus is also a 564XL, but in a different package.  I take issue with you blaming an earlier writer by saying it's his fault.  I say HP shouldn't package stuff like that.  If it is a 564XL, then it should fit..  HP customer support explained they make 2- 564 XL carts, one is labeled  photo black.

Next time I won't buy ink from Sams's club, though they are a lot chaper than HP online. Probably next time, I'll just save myself the hassle and extra trips and phone calls, and buy another brand of printer.

HP Recommended

Hi hagerman26,

The HP564 photo cartridge is only for printers with 5 ink systems, more details here

If you contact phone support, they may replace your photo for a regular black.

Kind Regards, Ciara

HP Recommended

HP you REALLY REALLY stuffed up on this one. 

And to add insult to injury, I bought a 4 pack, now I find out that the 4-pack is only for printers with 5 systems...

And for the dear professor to spout pages of manuals, is NOT the way to calm down irate customers. What would have worked a 1000 times better, is a simple apology, and information on how HP will fix the problem for you.

HP Recommended

PietStrydom wrote:  HP you REALLY REALLY stuffed up on this one.  

And to add insult to injury, I bought a 4 pack, now I find out that the 4-pack is only for printers with 5 systems... [snip]

This is a user to user support forum, not a direct link to HP support. If you want to Contact HP click here.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Hi PietStrydom

I appreciate your frustration, if you've purchased a Photo black in error  I'd suggest you contact Phone Support  (for a possible replacement  with a regular Black.)

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01839024

Kind Regards

Ciara

HP Recommended

Really dumb, it doesn't seem fair to me.  Anyone get a refund without spending hours on the phone?

HP Recommended

I just bought my HP Photosmart B209A last month. I ran out of black ink. No problem ... I need a black 564 cartridge. So, I went to my local Walmart and bought one. Got it home and could not install it. The package says HP564 Photosmart, so I think I bought the right one. but no! Of course this is after I opened it and can not return it. Thanks, now I am out $10.00 all because HP can not label there products correctly. Why are there 2 types of 564 black cartridges? Yeah, I know (now) that one is for photos and one is for regular printing and some model printers use both. But my new B209A only uses the large pentagon style. No 564a or 564b or maybe a different number. No other designation unless you take the time to look under the 546 and see the little "photo black". Who would know, there is nothing in the manual that states the difference. it clearly states that this printer takes cartridge 564.

Obvoiusly Walmart does not know the difference either because the are all mixed in the same row.

Nice, gee thanks again HP! Will HP do anything about it? I guess I am doing my part to increase your profits. Next time, I will magically overlook all HP Products. Pretty pathetic for something as stupid as an inkjet cartridge.

"Professor"

Well golly, I can be silly at times but I was wondering if you could tell me on what page of the Owners Manual it explains the info concering the differences in the black ink cartridges and specifies a number besides 564. I can't find it.

I am really concerned by the labeling of the cartridges for the CD035A (B209A).  When I go to the HP store and enter the printer I have, one of the options that comes up is HP 564 Series Photo Value Pack which includes the wrong type of 564 cartridge.  Also, HP only provides a sticker that says the printer uses 564 cartridges.  This implies that all 564 cartridges will work, which is not true.  Best Buy doesn't even carry the correct standard sized 564 Black for my printer and would have to be forced to buy the XL version.

Now I have wasted $10 and have to drive all around town hunting for the right cartridge.

I also purchased the HP Photosmart Plus printer and attempted to replace the black cartridge with an HP564, only to discover it is not the "correct" HP546 cartridge.  For HP to claim that it was my fault for not reading the manual is a total lack of competence and integrity on HP's part.  What, HP ran out of numbers to label their cartridges!  "Well Epson and Canon have done the same thing" BULL **bleep**.  If the printer requires a distinct cartridge, come up with a distinct part number.  Its not that difficult and engineering problem.

I had the same problem.  I have to agree with the others who've written in.  One would think that when the printer's info under the cover simply says, HP ink cartridge 564 that if you get ANY 564 cartridge you'll be getting what fits in the printer.  I, too, bought a multipack (from Sam's Club) that simply noted it was 564xl cartridges.  Color and black included.  Who'd know that the color cartridges would fit fine but not the black??  Just doesn't make a lot of sense.  So I, too, am out some money because HP didn't specify WHICH black cartridges would/would not work.  If there was only ONE person who'd encountered the problem maybe you could blame it on the lone individual, but when others also have the same issue maybe it's time for HP to re-evaluate their labeling.  Respectfully suggested.

I just had a discussion with both HP and Sams Club.  The sign below the printer I bought, states a 564XL cartridge.  So, I bought a package that included three color carts. plus a photo black.  Except the Photo Black is for another printer.  The black that I need for my Photo Smart Plus is also a 564XL, but in a different package.  I take issue with you blaming an earlier writer by saying it's his fault.  I say HP shouldn't package stuff like that.  If it is a 564XL, then it should fit..  HP customer support explained they make 2- 564 XL carts, one is labeled  photo black.

Next time I won't buy ink from Sams's club, though they are a lot chaper than HP online. Probably next time, I'll just save myself the hassle and extra trips and phone calls, and buy another brand of printer.

HP you REALLY REALLY stuffed up on this one.

And to add insult to injury, I bought a 4 pack, now I find out that the 4-pack is only for printers with 5 systems...

And for the dear professor to spout pages of manuals, is NOT the way to calm down irate customers. What would have worked a 1000 times better, is a simple apology, and information on how HP will fix the problem for you.

HP Recommended

Hi WordSync

I appreciate that the numbering is confusing and has caused a lot of inconvenience.

In order to fix this issue and get a regular black to replace the photo black, you'll need to contact HP Phone Support.

Please let me know how you get on and if there's anything else I can help with

Kind Regards

Ciara 

HP Recommended

This is typical from product designers/managers  that do not think as end users.

To have two cartridges with same number being differentiated one by a pentagon and other by a black-tie like symbol is just stupid. Not mention this on the manual even worse.

Here in Brazil it is absolutely impossible to convince  HP to  exchange these cartridges.

Next printer? Not HP for sure ! It is not the way to treat customers

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.