Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Just purchased and 8710 after checking with HP to confirm it will print legal size documents in duplex mode.  First try no success, error messag on printer was that the paper was too large.  Needless to say less than pleased.  Hopefully i set this up wrong.  The document in quesiton prints duplex mode on my envy 7640 on letter size paper without issues.  Switching to the 8710 and using the same print selections (2 sided on short edge) as above didn't work.  

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

The Officejet 8710 does not support legal size automatic duplex printing. The Officejet Pro 8720 and up do support legal duplex printing.  From the document here:

The following table contains the supported paper sizes for HP OfficeJet 8702, OfficeJet Pro 8710, 8715, 8718, and 8719 printers.

Paper size
Tray 1
Tray 2
Duplexer
ADF
U.S. Letter: 216 x 279 mm (8.5 x 11 inches)
U.S. Legal: 216 x 356 mm (8.5 x 14 inches)

A4: 210 x 297 mm (8.3 x 11.7 inches)
216 x 330 mm (8.5 x 13.0 inches)

U.S. Executive: 184 x 267 mm (7.25 x 10.5 inches)

U.S. Statement: 140 x 216 mm (5.5 x 8.5 inches)

B5 (JIS): 182 x 257 mm (7.17 x 10.12 inches)

A5: 148 x 210 mm (5.8 x 8.3 inches)

152 x 203 mm (6.0 x 8.0 inches)

U.S. Government

Borderless A4: 210 x 297 mm (8.3 x 11.7 inches)

Borderless A5: 148 x 210 mm (5.8 x 8.3 inches)

Borderless B5 (JIS): 176 x 250 mm (6.9 x 9.8 inches)

The Officejet Pro 8720 and up do support legal duplex printing.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

The 8710 can not duplex legal size paper. (link to specs)

You need the 8720 or 8740.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.