Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy 4520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Printer won't print color.   Print Quality Diagnostic is OK,as are other printer test pages.  Wi-Fi printing from Apple Laptop is OK. Printing from local Windows-based apps is black only, no color. Printer was fine until two weeks ago. No new sofrware or apps installed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello, @austin614 - Hope you are well 🙂

Welcome to the HP Forums, I'd be happy to help you with your printer issue!

Going through your post, I understand that are facing issues while printing in color on your HP Envy printer. It looks like an issue with the print driver settings on your PC since the color is printing fine from another PC. Try the steps below to try and fix the same:

1. Go to Control Panel – Devices and Printers.
  2. Right-click on Envy 4520 and select “Printing Preferences”.
  3. Navigate to print quality / layout tab and make sure that the color printing option is selected.
  4. Save the settings and check for issue resolution.

If the issue persists, then I’d suggest to completely reinstall the drivers as suggested below:

• First, unplug the USB cable from the printer, if present.
  • Go to Control Panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Envy printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control Panel – Devices and Printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Now, click HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads to download and install the software.
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.
  • Restart the PC and check.

Those steps should do the trick, let me know the outcome!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello, @austin614 - Hope you are well 🙂

Welcome to the HP Forums, I'd be happy to help you with your printer issue!

Going through your post, I understand that are facing issues while printing in color on your HP Envy printer. It looks like an issue with the print driver settings on your PC since the color is printing fine from another PC. Try the steps below to try and fix the same:

1. Go to Control Panel – Devices and Printers.
  2. Right-click on Envy 4520 and select “Printing Preferences”.
  3. Navigate to print quality / layout tab and make sure that the color printing option is selected.
  4. Save the settings and check for issue resolution.

If the issue persists, then I’d suggest to completely reinstall the drivers as suggested below:

• First, unplug the USB cable from the printer, if present.
  • Go to Control Panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Envy printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control Panel – Devices and Printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Now, click HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads to download and install the software.
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.
  • Restart the PC and check.

Those steps should do the trick, let me know the outcome!

Cheers 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thank you for getting involved.  When I go to Printing Preferences on the Control Panel/4520 there is  no Color option to be turned on in PrintQuality, only Quality Settings.

HP Recommended

Hello, @austin614

Thanks for the update!

This looks like an issue with the printer drivers. Please follow the second part of my message to completely reinstall the drivers. 

Let me know how that goes! Thank you 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi, I have followed your instructions, including the second part of the original message, however my printer is still printing in only black and white. Is there something else I may do to fix it?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.