Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp 7740
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have not had any luck in getting connected to my printer either by hardwire or wireless.  the last person from HP tried to help but decided to bail out without even giving me an option of what to do.  he tried several times to update the firmware but to no avail.  this is the second printer i have gotten of this model to do this.  i know im running Win7 pro but i need to do this because of the use of Autodesk products.  please advise on what to do.  my boss is telling me to return the printer and lets get another brand.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

btw, How do i post an image of the error message?

HP Recommended

@John000z

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 

As I understand you are unable to connect your printer to your Windows 7 PC,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

You've mentioned that you have attempted to upgrade the firmware, did that complete or fail?

What else have you done? could you elaborate? so that we don't end up doing the same things all over again.

While you respond to that, I have a few steps below that should help your cause:

You can find the system requirements from your printer's product specifications. To use your printer on the computer, upgrade the computer so that it meets the minimum system requirements. Search the HP website to see if its compatible software is available for your printer.

1. Turn on the printer.

2. If your printer is connected to the computer with a USB cable, disconnect the cable from the printer.

3. Go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads.

4. If prompted, select a method to identify your printer model, and then follow the on-screen instructions to go to the download page.

5. Click Download next to the full feature driver (recommended), or click Basic Drivers for other driver options.

If you are unable to download and install a driver from the HP website, go to Installing and Using Your Printer With the Windows Built-in Driver to use a basic or in-OS driver.

If the issues persists, Click here to fix network driver setup

To learn how to use HP Forums: Click here

Keep me posted for further assistance 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

No, i have not gotten my problem solved.  It's a shame that i purchased the one and only 11x17 printer from HP and it won't work with Win7.  (At least it seems to be my luck!)   I didn't even give it a second thought provided I have a brand new computer and this is a brand new printer.  I just assumed that given Win7 is still very relative that this printer would work.  I have had an HP tech remote in and try to update the drivers but to no avail.  (twice)  I did not purchase the printer directly from HP so I assume HP will not pick it up and give me a refund.  I'm not sure how i'll proceed from here.  I am open to options and will research for another printer.

Thank you,

John E. Bible

HP Recommended

@John000z

Thank you for responding,

Does this mean you've tried "All" of the steps and links I provided and nothing worked? (strange)

Please try Installing and Using Your Printer With the Windows Built-in Driver to use a basic or in-OS driver as this should work.

And if you've already done that, yet the issue persists, it doesn't matter where you purchased the printer from, Simply Contact HP if your product is within the 1yr factory warranty and they'll be glad to help:

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

Keep me posted 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.