Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Ran through all the checks I could.  As discussed above, print head for the 5510 is not readily removable for cleaning.  In general this printer has been a disappointment.  

HP Recommended

Hi gcthoreau,

I understand your frustration, and would like to help you with this. I see you are running into some print quality issues on your HP Photosmart 5510, you are unable to print in black ink.

I see you have completed ALL steps listed here: Printer Does Not Print Black Ink or Color Ink, or Prints Blank Pages, with no success.

Please note: There are three printhead cleaning stages. Complete all three stages if necessary. If the printhead is badly clogged, it might require another cleaning cycle. If so, wait 30 minutes after the last (third) cleaning stage to start the first stage of the cleaning process over again.

If you feel you have exhausted the troubleshooting and are still unable to print in black ink, I suspect the issue may be the printer and not the cartridge. Please let me know which Country/Region you are in as well as the Warranty on your product: HP Warranty Checker

I hope to hear from you soon.

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I'm having the exact same problem. Ugh. Warrantly just expired. 

HP Recommended

AmandaBarnett,

Were you able to follow the troubleshooting steps I listed in my earlier recommendation?

If you completed them and are still not able to print in black ink, please let me know which Country/Region you are in?

Thank you,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I've had this issue too.  The worst of it is that the solution is readily available. Manually clean the printheads, but for some bizarre reason the clearly removable ink cradle is blocked by a non removable cover.  It's pretty ridiculous and doesn't make any sense. I was able to resolve the issue by maneuvering a dry cloth underneath where the printhead is located and "flossing" it. Issue resolve. I hope this would this would help others but it will probably just get removed.

HP Recommended

@Handsome_Bob wrote:

I've had this issue too.  The worst of it is that the solution is readily available. Manually clean the printheads, but for some bizarre reason the clearly removable ink cradle is blocked by a non removable cover.  It's pretty ridiculous and doesn't make any sense. I was able to resolve the issue by maneuvering a dry cloth underneath where the printhead is located and "flossing" it. Issue resolve. I hope this would this would help others but it will probably just get removed.

Thanks for the "flossing" idea.

I'm sure HP doesn't condone maneuvering a piece of cloth under the printhead because then they don't get any money from selling new printer heads or new printers/ they can't ensure that some people won't rip their printer apart in the process.

And yes, I noticed that the printhead looked like it should be removable, but was blocked.

I used an old dress shirt and tried to clean it really well. I pressed the "clean printhead" button again and I have some faint black ink letters instead of completely white paper where the text should be. I'm going to keep cleaning it manually and with it's own system.

If that doesn't work, I'm getting a new printer that is not HP because apparently many of their printers have issues with the print heads, even after just one year of use. (Mine is over 3 years old...so at least it lasted that long)

HP Recommended

Hello @h_tothe_p,

I appreciate you visiting the HP Support Forums and letting us know about the issue you are experiencing with your HP Photosmart 5510.

I see you have completed the troubleshooting with no success, can you please let me know which Country/Region you are in?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Toronto, Canada

So far efforts have failed.  I have always used HP but this is making me question that.

HP Recommended

slsatits,

I have sent you a Private message on the Forums, please go to your Userpage to the right of your Username you will see your inbox.

Thanks,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended
I am in the U. S. I bought the printer when I was living in South Carolina.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.