Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have tried all recommendations I could find to no avail.  Cleaned head and followed instructions in printer tools.  I know many have had this same problem and have found some way to resolve the problem.  Any recommendations?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The troubleshooting steps in the document here may help resolve black not printing on your Photosmart 7515.  Be sure to check the vents as shown in Step 4.  

If the first four solutions do not resolve the issue I would suggest soaking the printhead as shown in the post here before considering replacing the printhead.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

The troubleshooting steps in the document here may help resolve black not printing on your Photosmart 7515.  Be sure to check the vents as shown in Step 4.  

If the first four solutions do not resolve the issue I would suggest soaking the printhead as shown in the post here before considering replacing the printhead.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended
Followed Bob Hedrick's suggestion for cleaning the printing head and it worked perfectly. However, always use the TOOLS cartridge cleaning instructions and do it two or three times.
Thanks for your help.
HP Recommended

I have had this happen twice.  I went through all of the steps, nothing worked and then, all of a sudden it would after the umpteenth time I removed and replaced the black cartridge. Today, I figured out the problem. Turn the cartridge over and you will see two little orangish dots of plastic near the top of the cartridge and two near the middle.  Scrape them off and return the cartridge to the printer head.  Run a test page . . . it should work.  Those little dots are preventing the area which distributes the ink from connecting with the printer head.  They raise it just high enough to prevent engagement.

Hope this keeps people from replacing their printers.  

Note: the plastic dots are from the little orange cover that you remove when you replace the cartridge. Just make sure you get them scraped off completely. Works like a charm.  

HP Recommended

This worked for me!  I bought all new cartridges and couldn't get my printer to print black.... I looked at one of the cartridges where the orange cap comes off and there seemed to be a little bit more of the orange cap left on the 2 tiny dot areas.  I scraped them off with scissors & TADAA!!!!!  Thank you!  I was ready to go buy a new printer!

HP Recommended

Thank you!!!!! I was already searching for printers that use the same cartridges as my C310.  I was really close to purchasing a new one, $250 and then ran into your post.  Thank you SOOO much for finding the solution.

HP Recommended

What do you mean Solution Three?

"...Be sure to check the vents as shown in solution three... " 

HP Recommended

@ddice

Hello,
Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately, based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. I recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/forums/postpage

To be more helpful with your post, you may add key information if you wish:
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A

2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit

3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows

4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.

If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message.

Thank you.

I work on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

@ddice wrote:

What do you mean Solution Three?

"...Be sure to check the vents as shown in solution three... " 

The document had been updated in the years since my original reply, "Solution Three" is now covered in "Step 4".  I updated the post above.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.