Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

hello everyone,

i have a problem with my hp printer.  right now its connected to the network and all the pc's and laptops can access it and print just fine.

however i am ditching my current intenret provider and much return their modem/router(embarg 660 series) and trying to get the printer set up on the new network first but i am having problems.  have no other problems with the network i have everything else set up just fine as with my slow slow brother printer which was found instantly.

i've tried two differnt routers but have the same problem

routers i have tried

linksys wrt54g

belkin play n600 hd

the linksys router has lights on the front and when the printer is hooked up the light turns on as it would for any pc or device connected to it but i can not get the printer to be recognized.

i've logged into the routers setup and i can't find anything that might be stopping it.

i can not ping the router

its just as if its not on period.

tried installing it via the hostname and ip address and nothing. 

donwloaded hp's installation software and still nothing.

hook it back up to the old network and its there no problems.

any  help would be appreciated.

thanks

ryan

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended
With the new router do you get internet? If yes, then the router is working and your issue is the ip address of the printer is outside the range of the router. With this printer is can sometimes be hard to perform a cold reset. You can first try the factory reset of the printer. Go to the menu on the printer and scroll down to configure device and then scroll down to resets and then scroll down to factory defaults and select. The printer should then reset and reboot. Wait about 2 minutes after the printer comes to ready and print a config page and the printer should have obtained a new ip address which is in the range of the new router. If that does not work, then the method I like to use is to take one of the computers on the network and change the ip method from dhcp to manual and assign the computer a ip address in the same range as the printer. Go to the information menu on the printer and print a config page. You will get a second page with the ip address of the printer make sure it is the ipv4 address. Lets say the address is 192.168.1.20 This is an example only. Go to one of the computers and go into the network properties and then go in tcp/ip and click on the box to assign a ip address and then give the computer an address of 192.168.1.5 Again just an example. Use the same submask as the printer. After substituting your actual address and assigning the address, apply the setting. Now go into your web browser which will error out since it can not find the internet and in the address bar type in the address of the printer that appeared on the config page. The web page for the printer should come up and then go to network settings and change the address to a unused address for the new router's range. Save the setting, change the computer back to obtain a ip address automatically and apply the setting and now see if you can ping the printer. You should be able and you then can use the address you assigned to add the printer.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.