Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Please resend the screen shot. All I see is a yellow triangle with a black edgeing.

HP Recommended

I just attached a .PNG file this time. I could see the .JPG file I attached earlier in my web browser fine and I am even using an older version of Internet Explorer.

Prop Sheet

HP Recommended

Thanks for the screen shot. I have the exact same now. The auto off is definitely set to never. How can we make this printer not sleep. What are the chances of HP making another firmware upgrade allowing the user the ability to set sleep to never,  and auto-off to never?

HP Recommended

I know in some of the other models of printers I have used, setting a static IP will keep the printer from turning off by itself.  I will post a picture of an example of where to find that setting in the embedded web server and the numbers I used.  This is just one of the tricks I have seen but hopefully it works if you haven't tried this yet.  If you have any questions about what I did when I set that static IP, I am happy to explain.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
HP Recommended

p1102 eprint.PNG

HP Recommended
This might solve the problem for those people that have it networked but what about those who do not have it networked? Standalone via USB...
HP Recommended

Hello 96accord!  

Welcome and I am sorry as the printer turning off automatically are more commonly network-related issues and I did not take into consideration those connected USB.  If you haven't already, reference Message 22 by TechGuy11.  To access that window, go into your Devices and Printers folder (Windows-based PCs) and right-click on the printer icon to select the Printer Properties to ensure your settings are the same as well.

I will do my best to help you specifically, so what kind of computer are you using (Windows 7, Windows XP, Mac OS, etc)?

Also please verify your settings are the same as above and that you are also using the HP p1600dn printer as well and I will be happy to help.

HP Recommended

I found that some of the Print Settings stored in the printer itself override local print settings and my printer was shutting itself off (even with IP address set to Manual).  Log into the printer using web browser and printer's IP address (print configuration page to find the network IPV4 Address:  Control Panel > Devices and Printers > Right Mouse Context Menu for HP P1606dn > Printing Preferences > Services > Print Information Pages >  Config Page > Print ).

In the browser printer window, set Auto Off to never:

Settings > Print Settings > System Setup > Auto Off after:  Never

> Apply

Browser Settings Page.JPG

Exit browser and print another configuration page.  You should now see Print Settings >

Auto Off after = Never

Printer can still save energy by going to sleep, but it no longer shuts itself off and it wakes up to print requests as long as user has its correct IPV4 address.:smileyhappy:

HP Recommended

Sorry, but it does not work all the time the way you and HP describe. I am on a Mac with OS 10.9. Brand new LaserJet P1606dn. Had serious problem with it not working at all when auto-off was enabled (4 hours lag be default).  The printer shows "connected" ONLY if the power button is pressed. It did not react to the print job like it should have. Did all kinds of recommended things: reinstallations, new drivers, new firmware, etc. Only after I killed auto-off it started printing normally. Older HP without auto-off were always on and lived happily for years. Something in the software should be tweaked, at least for Macs.

HP Recommended

same issue,50% of the time once it goes to sleep mode it doesn't wake up anymore instead it shuts down itself after you sent a print

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.