Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp office jet 5740
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

hp  office jet 5740     (no "e")   will not process leagal size documents ...8x14"    AND  no one seems to be able to help. 

Manual states that it WILL. Manual directs to click on "advanced" and then select paper size  BUT  when I select "advanced" the window has no selection for paper size.  All sales people say that this printer/fax/copier  WILL handle leagal size documents but it DOES  N O T .   Nothing on the box or directions states that it wil not handle legal size.  I can't believe that hp would manufacture something they name a "office"  jet which will not handle legal size paper.  **bleep**?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@OneBearTwice

Printer:

HP Officejet J5740 All-in-One Printer

Full Feature Software (required for full option set access):

Release details

Released: Dec 21, 2015

Version 14.8.0

Help, Instructions, and Examples:

Install Full Feature Software – Printer

NOTE: If the computer has been recently migrated to Windows 10: Create a Restore Point > Download a fresh copy of the Full Feature software > Remove the existing printer software > Reboot > Install Full Feature Software > Reboot

Section(s) included:

• Preparation
  • Extras and Optional > HP Information, Diagnostics, and Installation Help
  • The Windows 10 Printer Frenzy
  • Restart Everything
  • Download and Installation
  • Remove Printer Software
  • See who and what is on your network

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Specifications > Paper Handling section indeed indicates the printer will print on legal sized paper.

The User Guide explains how to load full sized paper (Chapter 6, Page 63).  Take note of the reminder to leave the Extender closed (so the legal sized paper is not trapped).

NOTE:

When you use legal-size paper, leave the tray extender closed.

Applications and printer software programs differ in how the various Printing Preferences (print settings) are presented.  Your "Paper Size" option may be in other than the "Advanced" button / tab.

The following document provides some examples that may be helpful:

Manage Print Output with Print Preview

Printing Preferences

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Click my Answer Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I am using Windows 8.1.  Your response DID help me, I had a suspicion that the cause of my problems was of similar nature as you aptly described.  I will try some things congruent with your sugestion(s) and get back with you. 

HP Recommended

Nope .... didn't work. 

HP Recommended

@OneBearTwice

Rats.

Well, I don't have an answer...

You might try some different paper -- not all paper is equal and some paper just won't work:  too thin, too damp, too dry, too curly, too much of a different color, too thick (although I have not seen a lot of super heavy legal paper floating about).

Remove the paper you do have fluff it (fan it) and return it to the tray -- sometimes the tray sensors become stuck / confused.

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Click my Answer Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I, too had this problem, and I found a solution:

1.  Unload your regular (letter) paper.

2.  Place the legal paper in and shut the tray.

3.  You should get a windows that says "Have You Changed the Paper?" 

4.  Touch "Main Tray..."

5.  Touch "Paper Size"

6.  This should open a window with paper size options:  touch "Legal" 

7.  The "Main Tray..." window will open again:  touch "Done".

8.  The "Have You Changed the Paper?" window will open:  touch "OK"

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.