Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

The driver posted on hp.com for the win7 32 and 64 bit do work. I have tested them on both systems and they install and print.

Users on the forums have reported back that using one of the install methods in the attached document have been successful for them. Install method 3 has been the most popular and successful for most forum uses so far.

Hope this helps..

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution

HP Recommended

Hi AuntieEm

Ive been though each of those methods previously.

However I have set up the 1020 printer on a Laptop running Win 7 and that has worked OK.

So therefore there must be a problem with my Windows 7 installation relating to the printer driver or spooler or something.

How can I completely remove all traces of the HP1020 installation so I can start again from scratch?

HP Recommended

sorry to learn that you have this problem

I do not mean to interrupt  you are getting advise from one of our top and most respected experts, follow any advise she provides,   but I wanted also to give small advise on how I done this with success in a similar situation.

Uninstall the printer's software in safe mode. this did take care of a similar situation,  with a competitors printer a while back, Perhaps it will work for you.

Sorry to interrupt and hope this helps;

RobertoR

You can say THANKS by clicking the KUDOS STAR. If my suggestion resolves your issue Mark as a "SOLUTION" this way others can benefit Thanks in Advance! :OpenSmile:
HP Recommended

jerryham,

To uninstall, please try the followinig:

Unplug the USB cable from the printer/computer.

Go to you Device manager - Click on Printers

Right Click on Printer - Click on Uninstall

Delete all 1020 file folders from  your computer C:// Program files HP folder. Make sure you delete your recycle bin as well.

Open your Devices and Printers folder - Click on any printer to get the Print Server Properties to show across the top.

Open Printer Server Properties - go to the Drivers tab

Remove Driver & Package

Reboot your computer.

Try reinstalling your software.

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended
The model number Hp Laserjet 1020.

Method 1:
You may refer to the below links and use the troubleshooters. Check if it lists and helps resolve any issues: Open the Printer troubleshooter:
Hp Support & Downloads

Method 2:
You may check if you have the latest drivers installed for the device. You may refer to the below link for getting the latest drivers and check –
Hp Laserjet 1020 Driver

Good Luck.
HP Recommended

Hello, I need help. I have problems intalling my Hp Laserjet 1020 to my windows xp. Sometimes it wil work, but mostly it will not.

Thanks,

Ronika

HP Recommended

AuntieEm

Thanks for your recent suggestion. I have completed that sequence (late as I havent been able to spend the time on it) and that hasnt worked either.

I have attempted to install another make of printer and have hit the same problem.

It seems that the print job will spool and get 'sent to the printer' as evidenced by the See Whats Printing box, but nothing actually gets to the printer.

How can i restore / reinstall / repair the printing function in Windows 7 ?

I am prepared to do a Win 7 repair from the installation DVD. I expect I should uninstall all printers and faxes before i do this??

HP Recommended

This may be obivious but I need to ask you, do you have a job stuck in the printer queue....if so this needs to be deleted out before any thing else will begin to print.

If there is no job stuck in the queue, check and see if the printer says "Offiline" or "Use printer offline". If that is the case, then go the Printer menu and uncheck "Use Printer Offline."

I hesitate to have you reinstall/repair your win7 OS but it that is the last resort, you may have to go that route. If you do choose to do that....then uninstall and reinstalling is what you will have to do.

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

hi thanks, no job in Q or offline

HP Recommended

OK so I have removed all the printers, and run the Repair option from the Windows 7 DVD. This has completed and Win 7 is up and running with all my programmes and settings in tact.

I have reinstalled the printer - but still have the same problem!!! AAaaaarrghhhhhh !!!

I have noted that I can print to .prn file, and also the XPS Doc Writer will produce a pdf doc via the print function.

So .... it seems that the Print spooler etc is al working properly, the print job is constructed, it gets sent to the USB001 Print port, but then it evaporates.

Any more ideas ? I am searching the web but I cant yet find the detail of a similar problem :smileyfrustrated:.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.