Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi Joe Schmoe, Thanks for the pics.  I think that is what I need to do as I got the same "out of paper" message and found half a tiny gear (or cog) on the top of my paper in the paper tray.  However how do you open up the printer just above where you load the paper in your first picture?

Many thanks

HP Recommended

cut a hole under mine and used locktite glue on the cracked shifted gear. so far so good.

Thanks for the tip.

HP Recommended

I cut the hole in the bottom with an oscillating saw-much neater! It would be a chinese torture to try to access the shoddily made gear by mirrors and special tools.    fortunately my gear had just slipped off the little splines on the shaft-im hopeful that superglue will hold.

HP Recommended

I cut a hole in the bottom of mine, and tried to epoxy the gear back together.  After a couple days it broke again.  Tossed it out and bought a HP 8610 that showed much better reviews, and also purchased a 3 year warranty from Staples for it.

It was about $100 out the door so if it lasts 3+ years I will get my money out of it.

HP Recommended

Spent hours cleaning my HPOffice jet 6500 to try and get it to feed the paper when printing. I discovered  the little cog  at the end of the metal shaft described in the you tube videos (where little mirrors were used).  After manually sliding it in to place, the paper feed rollers were still not working. I could see that the first set of pulleys (towards the front) were not catching with ones in the middle thus not moving the pulleys in the back half  that would have made the big paper rollers work. With my fingers, I rolled the pulley's in upper back, back and forth manually and I'll be damned if I didn't reset something...it immediately started making a resetting noise.  I then did a printer status report and Bingo! It Works great now!

HP Recommended
Superglue didnt work. I redid gluing on the slipping gear with JBweld epoxy and it has been working ever since. It is satisfying to beat planned obsolescence instead of just going out and buying a new one-beat the system.
HP Recommended
Well as soon as i sent on the last post my next print came out with pieces of the little gear and epoxy scattered on top. New printer time but not an hp
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.