Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

error light blinking, window says scanner failure. turn off and then back on. When I do, a loud grinding sound occurs for about 2 minutes and then nothing but the error message. using windows XP O/S. Please help

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi bumblebea77

This can be created by phisical obstruction Please go to this article I should help The Product Makes Noises

altough this article is created for problems with printing most of the steps describe will help with your issue as well.

Let me know the outcome and I will do my best to help you if you need further assistance.

Hope this Helps!

RobertoR

▼

You can say THANKS by clicking the KUDOS STAR. If my suggestion resolves your issue Mark as a "SOLUTION" this way others can benefit Thanks in Advance! :OpenSmile:
HP Recommended

Thanks RobertoR,

I did all that you suggested, but alas did not solve my problem. I even hooked the printer up to another computer with a different O/S system and it is still giving me the gears. Literally, the printer sounds like it's grinding its gears for 2-3 minutes before the error light come on.

It has done this before if the power bar is turned off before the printer power is off. But I have solved it by unplugging from the power bar for a few minutes then back on. But this hasn't helped in the last 2 episodes. I have also fixed it by uninstalling and re-installing the software. But this hasn't helped this time. Been trying for 3 days now, about to toss it, but I just bought 2 new cartriges for it!!

Bumblebea77

HP Recommended

I have been having the exact same problem since 5/5/12.....I have not been able to clear this error. 

HP Recommended

I see mcgj, welcome to the HP forums;

Update the firmware to eliminated the probability  a currupted file in the install. Uninstall the printer and reinstall, I will make sure that all instances of the printer are remove before dowloading from the Main support page for your printer.  Go to software and drivers download and select your operating system. You should also upgrade the firmware of the printer.

Hope this helps!

RobertoR

You can say THANKS by clicking the KUDOS STAR. If my suggestion resolves your issue Mark as a "SOLUTION" this way others can benefit Thanks in Advance! :OpenSmile:
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.