Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@dockit1, great information!

HP Recommended

I had the error message "open cartridge door and clear paper jam" but couldn't see any jam.

After several attempts I opened the machine up so I could access the print cartridge & turned the power on. As the machine booted up & the print cartridge moved to the left, I saw a small piece of paper that had been crushed & carried over to the far right hand side - once I cleared his everything went back to normal & the printer worked.

My suggestion is that you need to thoroughly check both sides of the print cartridge run to ensure there is no paper in the machine. 

I have has my Officejet Pro 8500 for about 2 years and it has always performed well. 

Hope this helps someone!

HP Recommended

The problem is that the 8500 is fragile.  A problematic transport system.  My first never made it through setup,  Many problems with the 2nd.  HP replaced it under warranty with an 8600.  Other then it going off line after a while, a far better printer.  Faster, smoother, better internal mechanics, quieter.  Still, compared to a Canon AIO we have, nowhere near as easy to deal with.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I'm responding to a quite old message here but I have the very same problem, like other people.

I've already saved the pic you posted of the missing gear(s). After a long observation, it appears the same part is missing on my 8500A.

I'd like to know if you finally found a new gear, and if it worked afterwards or any way to solve the problem tha you might have heard of.

Cheers,

HP Recommended

This is really annoying. The last 2 days I worked only for the 8500 Pro printer. "Paper Jam" "Paper Jam" "Paper Jam" althogh there's absolutely no paper in, and never has been a broken sheet anyway.

I tried everything, cleaned everthing, oiled everything, and still "Paper Jam" is the answer. Warranty just ran out.

[Content Removed]

HP Recommended

Hi there,

I understand you've been having some issues with your Officejet Pro 8500 printer and it constantly saying there is a paper jam. I'm sorry to hear you've been having this issue but will certainly do my best to help you!

If on the front of your printer it says it is an Officejet Pro 8500 (can be followed by the word Wireless or Premier as well) then please click here and follow the video instructions to help resolve the issue.

If on the front of your printer it says it is an Officejet Pro 8500A (can be followed by the word Plus or Premium) then please click here and follow these video instructions to help resolve your issue.

If at the end of the video(s) you are still getting the same paper jam message, you may need to call HP Tech Support and see what they have in regards to an upgrade for you. Thanks for contacting HP, have a great day!

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to thank me for responding! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

This photos really helped me. It would have been impossible to solve the problem without the photos. It worked beautifully. The gear is still broken so I am not sure for how long it will work. I am also of the opion that HP should be readily available to provide support. They are pretty poor on that.

HP Recommended

I still have no Paper Jam. I just have the MESSAGE "Paper jam". I cleaned up every single reachable part of this printer. And I never ever HAD a paper jam, so that it is impossible that there is only the possibly smalest shred of paper.

Just to have the message "Paper jam" without having one makes you so angry that you think whether it is possible that this message is part of a companys business plan.

HP Recommended

In case you've missed the several dozen messages leading up to yours, the 8500 series has a problem with a gear and shaft system that frequently don't work properly.  The electronics THINKS it's a paper jam, but considering that it can happen to brand new units fresh out of the box - not, it may not be a paper jam.  HP stopped building printers with this design; the 8600 has a completely different design on the inside.  Different mechanicals, no external brick, different cartridges, different GUI, and more.  Some people have managed to 'fix' the problem, some haven't.  If you had an extended warranty, HP might have replaced it with an 8600.  If not, and / or out of warranty, owners are out of luck.

HP Recommended

Thank you, thank you ---- you were right on. A miniscule piece of paper was jammed on the right side.There is a door/panel that lifts off easily -- remove it, I found 2 small stips of paper -- be carefull this area has a lot of black ink residue (it washes of - but is a pain) -- my pieces of paper removed easily. Reset the door/panel close everything. You should be good to go. If the "jam light" continues revist the area -- my guess there are other pieces of paper.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.