Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the response but I just purchased this product and shouldn't have to take time out of my busy day to do all of this.  HP should lubricate and fix the problem prior to selling the products to consumers. I will be returning it soon.  Thank you.

HP Recommended

The refurb (replacing my brand new unused printer) arrived a little while ago and at least this one works.  I'm wondering if I should lube it as soon as I can get a fresh can of WD40.

HP Recommended

Hopefully it will keep working properly and will last longer than a year.  Good luck.

HP Recommended

TURBO1951 - Since HP is never going to do the right thing and stop using this inferior part we should tell stores to stop carrying HP printers. Until then I am glad that we are able to use this forum. Spraying the white gear with WD40 and Gunk helped me for a while, but it did not stop the problem from reocurring. So, I need a longer term solution to FIX & REPLACE the gear before it breaks. Please advise.

HP Recommended

In the meantime I guess that once or twice a year I should just apply a few drops of wd40 or the like to the white and black gears (teeth and shaft where reachable) and to that thing on a shaft with a spring.  I think the assumption by HP and other manufacturers is that 'nylon' gears are 'self' lubricating by their nature and don't need oil, but far too often they stick anyway.l

HP Recommended

I open the hood once per month and spray wd 40 on anything that moves. I also work the rod with the spring around it, back and forth to make sure it is well lubricated. I dont know why HP doesnt solve this problem somehow? It probably would cost too much and put a dent in their profits. I was ready to take a sledge hammer to mine until I found the fix in the blog. Thank God for creative do it yourselfers.

HP Recommended

I'm convinced that the drive to make things as cheaply as possible and the mistaken notion that nylon and plastic gears and sleeves are 'self lubricating' has led to many designs that wear out long before they should.

HP Recommended

You guys are great!! I had my HP 8500 in the car and ready to head out to trade it in for anything but another HP Printer. I found this forum and tried lubricating the gears. It worked!! Just saved me $500.00.  BTW WD40 is not a good lubricant, it's a good cleaner. I used Liquid Wrench spray. Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Like everyone else on this issue, I’ve been getting the same problems as well.  I’ve been looking through all on this forum to see what others have done and none of it seems to be working.  I’ve even chatted with HP but that was no help.

I’ve gone through what M_ANHalt mentioned with the….

…On the left side of the printer under the dual ink packs there is a BLACK roller with a white cylinder gear inside it. I watched the printer try to reset it self about 10 times before I realized that the white inner gear was hanging up on the black outer gear.

And also what JLWojo has mentioned on the ….

I then saw the black gear (near the top of even with the bar with all the little rubber rollers on it) and white gear below it a little to the left (1/8 inch) (as indicated in prior post).

Using my finger, I manually rolled the gears (sometimes black sometime white)

And none of it seems to be working.  I’ve added a lot of WD40 which working with the gears inside the machine.  I did see a piece that I wasn’t sure broke off or doesn’t really have any concern with the “fake paper jam”?

The detached piece below, is this normal?

Detached piece.jpg

Or does this piece need to be attached?

Attached piece.jpg

HP Recommended

Turbo1951,

My 8500 has the broken white gear in the clutch aaembly. Can you help with replacement?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.