Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

how do i find the password for my hp deskjet 2542 to log onto my toshiba chrome to print. thanks

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi,

To print from a Chromebook, you cannot use HP Wireless Direct as Chrome only allow printing using ePrint which require an internet connection, using HP Wireless Direct (the printer's network) does not include internet connectivity and therefore does not applicable for such a need.

Please clarify if I may misunderstood your intention.

Do you have an internet connection available?

Do you have any other computer or is the Chromebook is your only device?

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

yes i do have an internet connection and i am trying to connect the printer to the network and set up the eprint.

my printer hp deskjet 2542 keeps asking for a password which i do not know so i am unable to log in

how do i find the password please, and  also i realise that there might be a connection problem becuase the wireless connection keeps flashing and has the ! sign which indicates a problem I guess, how do i fix that as well please. thank you

HP Recommended

You may retrieve the password by touching the Wireless icon () on the printer.

The Connected/Disconnected screen displays with the HP printer's IP address and the 8-digit WPA2 password.

Once you are connected from your Chromebook to the printer, open Chrome and browse to http://192.168.223.1.

Open the Wireless tab and follow the Wireless Setup Wizrd to conenct the printer to your router, once the printer been connected the wireless light should lit.

Then connect the Chromebook back to your router.

That will allow connecting the printer to your router, however you will need an additional computer to print from a Chromebook, the Deskjet 2542 does not offer ePrint functionality and therefore can only be used as  a classic printer.

You may find the Mobile printing capability listed below:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03811750

Below are the steps to print from a Chromebook which applicable for your printer model:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04127429

Regards,

Shlomi

HP Recommended

hi i have tried touching the wireless icon on the printing but it keeps searching for the network and does not display anything

HP Recommended

As written on my previous post, do you have any other computer or is the Chromebook is your only device?

There are easier ways to achieve such a task, therefore I wanted to calrify the following..

In the meantime, press and hold the Wireless Direct button () for more than 3 seconds and check if the printed sheet include the password.

HP Recommended

i do have a mobile device that can serve as a hot spot.

i have been able to print off the password however the problem i have now is connecting my printer to the network.

the wireless is unable to connect to the network, how do i fix that please

HP Recommended

That can be done from the EWS page as listed above, however the printr may not be able to connect to a 3G hotspot, it is designed to connect to a router:

Once you are connected from your Chromebook to the printer, open Chrome and browse to http://192.168.223.1.

Open the Wireless tab and follow the Wireless Setup Wizrd to conenct the printer to your router, once the printer been connected the wireless light should lit, then reconnect the Chromebook to yoru network.

However you will not be able to print via a Chromebook, for that you will MUST install the printer on a Windows PC or a Mac and share it as a classic printer in order to print from Chrome OS.

HP Recommended
Please email me how to reset password
HP Recommended
John 123456
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.