Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet Pro MFP M277dw
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

Hi,

Can someone help me please! Everytime I want to print  now I have to reboot the printer. The wireless symbol on the display screen doesn't show that it's offline either. I have also tried resetting my connection on my computer.

Thank you!

Lexi

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @Lexi_H,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! I see by your post that the printer won't wake up to print, you have to restart it every time. I would like to help you out today. If this helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution" button down below in this message. If you wish to say thanks for my effort to help, click the " Thumbs Up " to give me a Kudos. Smiley Happy

There are a few things that may cause the printer not to wake up. Please try the steps listed, to see if they will help.

Make sure the printer is connected directly to a wall outlet. (don't use a power hub or a surge protector)

It may not be the printer, it may be your router's inability to wake the printer if the printer is networked.
What router are you using?
Can you get into its settings?
If you can then look for and enable "Multicasting".
If not you will have to contact the router company.

Disconnect the routers power cable next time this happens, wait 10 seconds, then reconnect the power cable. Wait till it's ready.

Try printing again. If it prints then it is a communication issue between the printer and the router not recognizing the printer.

I have provided a document to setup a static IP address on the printer for better communication between the router,  Printer Does Not Maintain a Wireless Connection. Go to Solution three: Assign the printer a static IP address. Disregard the model number.

Update the printer's firmware also: HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M277dw.

To turn off the IPv6, go to Setup, Network Setup, Network Services, IPv6 and turn it off.

When the printer doesn't wake up, try and access the printer's Embedded Web Server and try and Ping the printer. If you can do both, then it wouldn't be a network issue.

Please let me know the results and if there is anything else I can help you with. Thank you.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi Gemini02 ,

So I tried almost all of these things except for the "setup static IP address" nothing would come up when I type my ip address in the web browse. I also didn't try going into the router settings, I can't seem to find where those settings are.  and I also didn't try accessing the printer's embeded web server, I don't know how to do that.

But, now the printer is doing this even if it's not asleep. when doing all the other steps I could print once but then if I try again it says "printer not connected"

HP Recommended

Hi @Lexi_H,

It doesn't sound like the printer is on the network.

Print out a Configuration Page from the printer, so we can see if you can access the printer's Embedded Web Server and setup a Static IP for the printer. This way, the router will always assign the printer the same IPv4 address.

Go to Setup, Reports, Configuration Report.

Type the IPv4 address into your web browser's address bar, to access the printer's Embedded Web Server.

Click on the Networking tab.

Select IPv4 Configuration on the left side of the window.

Enter the values from the Configuration Page. (IPv4)

If you don't have a valid IPv4 address for the printer, power cycle the router, restart the computer and the printer.

On the printer, go to Setup, Network Setup, Restore Defaults.

Then run the Wireless Wizard, go to Setup, Network Setup, Wireless Menu, Wireless Setup Wizard and select your network from the list of networks available.

Then access the printer's Embedded Web Server and setup the static IP.

Then go to the Apple, System Preferences, Printers and Scanners and click the + sign to add the Laserjet bonjour printer. (might take a couple of minutes to appear) Make sure the printer listed beside use: shows the proper printer name and not the default driver, then click on the add button.

Test the printer and let me know if it wakes up.

Please keep me posted. Thank you.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hi Gemini02,

I had rebooted the router, the computer, and the printer. Then I restored defaults on the printer. I am still unable to connect to the Embedded Web Server. To do that I just type in my IPv4 address in the url box correct? just as it reads with no other characters?

I think we may just need a new printer. Does HP have any kind of exchange program they can help us with?

Thank you,

Lexi

HP Recommended

Hi @Lexi_H,

Yes, that is correct. If it is a valid IPv4 address, it would read something like, 192.168...... or 10.12.....

If it is 169.192..., then the router isn't assigning the correct IPv4 address to the printer.

Make sure the Mac is corrected to the correct network name.

Did you run the Wireless Wizard after restoring the printer defaults and print out a new Configuration Report to get the new IP address?

I don't think it is a hardware issue at this time, we just need to get the printer back on the network and add it to the Mac again. Once you get a valid IP address, you should be able to access the printer's Embedded Web Server also. 

You can Contact HP Support and inquire about the trade in options. Fill in the model number and the form to receive a case number for quicker assistance.

Let me know the results. I would really like to help you get the printer working again over the network. Thank you. :generic:

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hi Gemini02,

Our IP address does start with a 192.168, so I don't quite understand why this wont work.

I think we will just have to get a new printer.

Thank you,

Lexi

HP Recommended

Set your printer's network as follows:
1. Disable IPV6
2. Use Manual address
3. Very important: Set any IP adress where the last part contains 3 digits greater than 099 ex: 192.168.1.123
4. Save the settings

Set your printer's Energy settings as follows:
1. Set sleep mode interval to 1 minute
2. Check the option "Delay when ports are active"
3. Save the settings

Reboot your printer and certify that the settings are as described above.
After working properly, you may set other values for the interval.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.