Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi, I have a hp designjet 500 asking me to remove the heads and replace normal by "setup printheads".

What are the "head configuration"? where I can get since I have not?

How I can fix this?

thanks

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

You must have entered the printer into the purge ink tubes section, once you do that it requires the regular printheads to be removed and setup printheads installed, which are just empty containers for the machine to purge the air out of the tubes and that means some of the ink will be pushed through the tubes and fill up the setup heads, after that procedure is done you can re-install the normal printheads, unless you actually are doing this because you do have air in the ink tubes, and in that case you need to install all new printheads because the old ones may have air in them and will just introduce the air back into the tubes and cause the original problem. 

There is no way to cancel that process once it is started.  David Zuts has provided a link of where to purchase the items needed to complete this process.

HP Recommended

timjw above is correct, once the purge process has been started you can not exit out of it.

You must use the setup or dummy print heads to run the sequence before you can reinstall your normal print heads and continue use.

C7769-60164 DesignJet 500 / 800 Series Plotter Setup Printhead Kit

Once the setup printheads become full of ink also they can not be reused.

HP Recommended
yesterday I made the same mistake: after replacing belt I restored to default from service menu. On startup same request: insert setup printheads. I used normal printheads with a strip of tape over chip on back. Plotter recogized these like setup printheads an completed the procedure. Don't buy setup pritheads it is a waste of money
HP Recommended

FYI.

Using PHs with a strip of tape can have 2 results

1- printer will think that it have completed the purge and comes up ready. like in your case

2- Will increase the presure of ink on the ph, damaging the printhead or causing a leak inside the printer.

My recommendation:

Use set up printheads to prevent any further damage to the printer.

Best regards

Mike G

Best regards

Mike G

I'm an HP Inc employee. But my response is not in behalf of HP Inc
HP Recommended

hi... i have the same problem... how did you make dummy printheads??? i mean... where did you cover with tape

thanx

guillermo

HP Recommended

hi.

am in a similar fix.. did you manage to find what to cover to convert normal heads to setup ??

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.