Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I recently changed the black ink cartridge in my 7410 all in one printer. After changing cartridge it gave me an error message of " Remove and check cartridge on right". I have tried removing and reinstalling , cleaning connection points with clean damp cloth (water) and still cannot get error message to go away.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

There are several possible issues, some are fixable and others are not.  HP Diagnostics refer the the print cartridges as "pens".  In order of ease of fixing check the following:

1. Clean the contacts on the cartridge and in the printer as shown step 1-3 of this page
  2. The cartridge may have failed and need to be replaced, as described in step 5.  If this is the case check the cartridge warranty as shown in this page.
  3. The most difficult (and least recoverable) option is if the x-bias spring has become dislodged as shown in step 4 of this page or (1) in the photo below.  If the spring is dislodged but has not punctured the flex circuit in the back of the carriage you may be able to fix this by using epoxy to fix the spring back in its proper position (see the spring on the black side to see how it shoudl go).  If the spring has punctured the flex circuitry as shown in (2) below it is not likely to be feasible to repair.  There was an extended warranty for this issue but it expired several years ago.  

The 7410 will print (but not copy or fax) with one cartridge removed.  You will get an error message but the printer will print.

flex damage.png

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I know this is an older thread but being it is a top Google result associated with the "Remove and check cartridge on right" error it justifies adding a helpful suggestion for other.  Our findings have been HP Printers are very biased against refilled \ recycled cartridges.  I own a total of (5)x HP 7310 and HP 7410 printers in my IT Consulting office.  These are feature rich MFP’s with an abundant supply of ink available at generously economical prices.  On the face of it, it sounds like a good reason to keep a bevy of last gen printers around. EXCEPT the printers work great with the $30-$50 brand new HP brand 96 cartridges from Office Depot or Staples.  Unfortunately if you try and buy some recycled cartridges off ebay the Printers detect the recycled\refilled cartridges as a previously depleted HP cartridge that may not be genuine and the units suddenly turn on you.  Miraculously the "Remove and check cartridge on right" only manifests itself with non-HP brand cartridges or cartridges that have been refilled.  (We have even tried to re-fill out own refreshly depleted cartridges with like results.)  Think of it as an HP service reminder conveying you forgot to pay HP their $30-$50 profit on your ink this go round.  Remember you need HP Branded ink cartridges (HP = Homogeneously Proprietary).  It’s like an intention flaw written into the firmware.  Best guess (purely on conjecture) is there is a check in the firmware/drivers for if the cartridges has been previously installed, previously depleted, max install count, and expiration date validation.  If it encounters a condition it doesn’t like you get this nondescript error.

[Edited for Advertisement]

HP Recommended

NoProblemAtoll wrote:

I know this is an older thread but being it is a top Google result associated with the "Remove and check cartridge on right" error it justifies adding a helpful suggestion for other.  Our findings have been HP Printers are very biased against refilled \ recycled cartridges.  I own a total of (5)x HP 7310 and HP 7410 printers in my IT Consulting office.  These are feature rich MFP’s with an abundant supply of ink available at generously economical prices.  On the face of it, it sounds like a good reason to keep a bevy of last gen printers around. EXCEPT the printers work great with the $30-$50 brand new HP brand 96 cartridges from Office Depot or Staples.  Unfortunately if you try and buy some recycled cartridges off ebay the Printers detect the recycled\refilled cartridges as a previously depleted HP cartridge that may not be genuine and the units suddenly turn on you.  Miraculously the "Remove and check cartridge on right" only manifests itself with non-HP brand cartridges or cartridges that have been refilled.  (We have even tried to re-fill out own refreshly depleted cartridges with like results.)  Think of it as an HP service reminder conveying you forgot to pay HP their $30-$50 profit on your ink this go round.  Remember you need HP Branded ink cartridges (HP = Homogeneously Proprietary).  It’s like an intention flaw written into the firmware.  Best guess (purely on conjecture) is there is a check in the firmware/drivers for if the cartridges has been previously installed, previously depleted, max install count, and expiration date validation.  If it encounters a condition it doesn’t like you get this nondescript error.

[advertisement snipped]

The above post is filled with conjecture and speculation, but is not based on fact.  The Officejet7410 is not programmed to reject refilled/reman cartridges.  It will check cartridges electrically for various things and will reject cartridges that fail.  Typical failures would include a cracked printhead (caused by rough treatment - dropping the cartridge even a few inches for example), or open electrical connections caused by   debris on the cartridge contacts.  Cleaning the cartridge contacts as shown in the document here may resolve the issue in case of poor electrical contacts.

A cartridge that has been previously used in a different printer will likely be marked as empty, but the printer will happily print with a cartridge detected as empty.

The reality is that the quality of refill and reman cartridges are very variable, but generally poor.  The study here has a study conducted by a testing facility, here is another study. 

My personal experience has been similar.  I donated an HP all-in-one to my son's high school years ago.  Sometime later I got a call from the teacher complaining that it was not printing properly.  I went and took a look and found they had put in a renam color cartridge that was not printing one of the colors*. They tried another cartridge, which also had a problem and then finally the third cartridge worked.  I asked why they used renam cartridges and he said they bought these because they were cheaper.  I asked if they were 1/3 the cost....

*The color missing had nothing to do with the printer - blotting the bad cartridge on a damp tissue gave only two of the three colors that would normally be present.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

So I have the punctured Flex circuitry. Obviously I am against trashing the whole printer because of this one part. After looking at parts for the printer I have found items such as product: C8963-60098 . My question is, would this part house the flex circuitry or could you direct me to the part that does please? If not, what further steps are possible for me?

Thanks in advance.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.