Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
I have only 10 combined iPhones, iPads, iMacs, Apple TVs & iPhones plus a Timecapsule, m-Cell, TiVo, and smart TV on my network, so your configuration is harder to debug. To isolate the problem on my network many months ago, I just used my two main Macs one of which I use as an iTunes media server and my printer.

As I remember it, there are three or maybe even four active versions of SMB protocol now. On windows, at least one computer or device gets chosen as a SMB master on the network. Once I knew how this worked but sadly no longer. Anyway, it is possible that such a master, if it exists on your network, is screwing around with what your printer thinks it needs to use for communication. The only way to determine whether this is a widespread network problem or just a problem between your printer and the computer you were trying to scan to, is to reduce the size of your network to just be affected devices. Also, if you set up a scan directory on multiple computers, it would be interesting to see if scanning would fail on all over time or it was just failed on a single computer.
HP Recommended

Thanks @net-buoy. If I didn't have the USB option available that would work, but this way at least I can keep the same control interface. Strange how I'm the only one in 27 pages who has it work for a little while and then drop out....

HP Recommended

Is it just me, or is this working now - after the El Capitan upgrade?

HP Recommended

It is just you.  But thanks for getting my hopes up.

El Capitan continues to support SMB3.

HP 8630 (and others) continue to not offer updated firmware that fixes the issue.

Community members continue to post "work arounds" and "fixes" that are not useful.

HP Recommended

I'm just trying to be helpful, as mine IS working.  The printer setup 'webpage' now gives me a "The test has been completed successfully." when I enter my details on the Network Folder Setup page.  If I load a document and chose Netowk Scan on the printer it now ends up in the folder I selected.  I'm sorry yours is not working.

HP Recommended
I'm having the same issues, the ews will not accept my username and password for scan to network folder on my mac os x. I'm using Hp officejet pro 8620. Hopefully someone can help us all out.
HP Recommended

I hate to be a downer about this, but this issue lasted the ENTIRE time that Yosemite was the current OSX release for Mac, and shows every sign of persisting with El Capitan.  Bottom line, HP has really failed here to deliver relevant and working features in even their top of the line consumer printers.   

The commitment on the features list shown on the marketing of the product definitely was not what was delivered and realized as a product.  

HP Recommended

YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!, I've bene looking for a fix for probably over a year, I just started looking for fixes again. I found your post, tried your workaround and WORKED the first time. Did a test and BAM. WOW, why couldnt HP offer this as a fix until they and apple began working together.

HP Recommended

Hi Governatorz, may i know how you did it?

I have Yosemite and HP 8620

Thanks

HP Recommended
I followed this method:
I have been frustrated since Yosemite was released with previously being able to scan to network folder in Mavericks. Since Yosemite came out, I have been booting into windows to scan to network folder and that sucks.. here is my work around.

My Hardware:
Apple iMac running Yosemite 10.10.5
HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus A910G connected with Wifi static IP to Apple Airport Wifi Router
Airport Time Capsule 3TB (Airport Extreme will also work) running latest firmware
8 GB USB Flash Drive
**Right click on pics and open in new tab for better aspect ratio/resolution, not sure why they are not showing correctly

Step 1

Connect Flash drive to USB port on back of Airport Time capsule or Airport Extreme

Step 2

In your web browser, enter IP address for printer, click on scans tab and head to Network Folder Setup (Mine is already in there)

Step 3

Display name, use whatever you want, this name will show up on the printer screen

Network Path as shown in picture \\local IP address of Airport Time Capsule\USB Flash Drive Name\specific folder name if you have one, I don't

User name: IP address again for Airport Time Capsule
Password: The password to log into your Airport Device (Refer to 1st pic in this post) as that will determine the password required to acces the Flash Drive, I have mine set to "With device password" meaning the password to log into the Airport Device

Step 4 I have no PIN Set

Step 5

Set the default scan settings

Step 6

Review Settings

Step 7

Worked Perfect

Had no problems with this method.

Logging into Windows through Bootcamp is annoying as I just want to stay in Mac OSX. (and I hate Parallels for Mac) Even though I'm not scanning directly into the Mac OSX directory, I can easily open the Flash Drive connected to my Airport Time Capsule/Extreme in Finder and then easily copy or move the scanned PDF's into the correct directory.

I have also successfully scanned to a folder on the Airport Time Capsule's 3TB internal Hard Drive but prefer to scan to the USB Flash Drive, either way will work

Right Click and select "Get Info" on the folder or USB Drive to get the network path in General/ Server section but some parts will need to be removed and converted to the format in the previous pics.

Hope this helps, It surely has taken me over a year to finally be able to scan again to a Network folder without booting into Windows.

Happy Days

Cheers

Apple Sheep
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.