Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart 6520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

It worked before - it doesn't now ................

same problem with windows 10 & ubuntu 16

FWIW it prints/scans from a USB connection.

HP Photosmart 6520 configured to get IP address from ro9uter, which it does. router admin shows allocated IP ( 192.168.1.73) and connects  to infor page about the printer.

from elsewhere in the network, i cannot ping 192.168.1.73

Or scan the IP address.

In Ubuntu I can add the printer (192.168.1.77:9100) , but when i try to print a test page it says 'not responding '

in the networks choices for my desktop PC I can see a network ' HP-Print-AC-photosmart' and can connect to it .

What has gone wrong and how do i fix it ?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

oops  - typo its not 192.168.1.77 its 192.168.1.73 throughout

HP Recommended

and when i  'restore factory defaults ', it remebers the wireless network and password

**bleep** ?

HP Recommended

@medalto

Welcome to the HP Forums. I would be happy to help you with your HP Photosmart 6520 printer does not maintain wireless connection. I understand that you prints appear faint, and you have already done some preliminary troubleshooting. 

Don't worry though as I have a few steps to determine the issue and find a solution as well,

• Set the default printer and unpause printing.
  • Reset the printer and check the connection status.
  • Make sure the correct port is selected.
  • Update the printer firmware.
  • Create a manual connection.
  • Add the printer using HP Printer Assistant.

Click here and follow the document for more troubleshooting steps.

Let me know how it works.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

no that isnth the problem.

the problem is that other devices dont find the printer/scanner wirelessly.

printing etc with USB connection is fine .

the solution was to give it a fixed IP address in the printer.

it is now ping-able and devices find it

ive no idea why this works as a solution.

was the original issue a printer, router or network problem ?

HP Recommended

Hello, @medalto

I see that you were interacting with @sandytechy20. I'd like to jump in with a suggestion 🙂

Let's start with a network power drain on the network. Here are the steps:

1.      Turn off all the devices connected on your network including the PC, Smartphones, printer, modem (if present) and router. Make sure all the devices in the network are turned off / unplugged.

2.      Wait for 2-3 minutes.

3.      Now turn on the modem if present. Wait till all the lights are steady and idle.

4.      Then turn on the router. Again wait for a couple of minutes so that the lights are all steady.

5.      Then turn on the printer and other devices.

Now, try reconnecting the printer to the network as suggested below:

1. From the Wireless Status menu, click Settings.

2. Select Wireless Setup Wizard, and then follow the on-screen instructions.

As the last step, reinstall the printer drivers:

·         Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Deskjet printer entries and uninstall them.

·         Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.

·         Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.

·         Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.

·         Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

·         Restart your computer.

·         Now click http://hp.care/2pBmpWE to install the software.

Let me know if that helps!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.