Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OFFICEJET PRO 8620
Microsoft Windows XP

THE PRINTER WAS WORKING FINE AND THEN WENT TO PRINT AND SAID INK WAS EMPTY,ALL CARTRIDGES. I TOOK OUT OLD ONES,THEY WERE STILL WITH INK. i CLEANED CONTACTS ON CARTRIDGES AND USED NEW ONES BUT KEEP STATING THAT ALL INK IS OUT.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@TJ007

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. I came across your post and would like to assist.

I understand that you have an HP Officejet Pro 8620 e-All-in-One Printer and it fails to detect the ink levels correctly. Printer says that the ink cartridges are empty and they are not. You cleaned the cartridges and have even installed new cartridges and the issue persists. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

Are you using original HP ink cartridges or refilled ink cartridges?

Is the low ink level message appearing on the computer or the printer's screen?

Meanwhile, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Disconnect the power cable from the printer while the printer is still ON.
  • Disconnect any other cables if connected the printer.
  • Press and hold the printer’s power button for 15 seconds.
  • The printer should be directly connected to the wall outlet and not to a surge protector.
  • Reconnect the power cable to print and the printer should power ON by itself. If the printer doesn’t power ON then please manually power it ON.

Also, review the following steps from this HP article:

• Step 2: Reseat the ink cartridges, and make sure latch is down.
  • Step 3: Clean the ink cartridge contacts.

You may perform a reset on the printer if the printer continues to not detect the correct ink levels. I have sent you a private message with the reset steps.

I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Let me know how it goes. All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

I am using an HP 2652. It was saying ink was low so I bought new cartridges and installed them, still says low. I took them out and held them under running water then wiped dry and could see ink. I reinserted them and it still says low ink. I unplugged the printer while it was on, held the power button 15 seconds, then plugged back in, still says low ink.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.