Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP officejet 3830
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been trying to setup the wireless connection between the printer and the computer for about 3 weeks now and i still can't find the WPS Pin any where on the box the manual and on the printer and router is there a way to find it where it is or what it is. 

Please and Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Some confusion exists here.  

The Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) function on network routers is being confused with the WPS-PIN requirement for the HP printers.  If you can already 'see' your HP-PRINTER in your computer's 'discovered' or "Add Printers" device list, you are already connected to your desired network, and so is your new HP-PRINTER.

The WPS-PIN required/requested during the HP Printer-setup (blue-box-pop-up) is a part of the security functions which controls who can print to this printer.

Here is the solution.

I found this solution on another page:

(  https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-Archive-Read-Only/Find-WPS-Pin-NUMBER/td-p/5600936  ).

This solution was posted by "IM64 Tutor".

I am posting it here to shorten the distance for others:

Re: Find WPS Pin NUMBER
Options
‎05-17-2016 09:46 PM
I found my WPS Pin Number accidently.

1. Be close enough to printer to see the display
2. On your computer, select Add Printer from the Control Panel
3. When you find your printer displayed select it
4. When it asked for your WPS Pin take a look at the printer display. This number is shown at this time, but doesn't stay up long
5. Type the number into the space provided on your computer screen
6. Wait while it begins loading the printer.

This worked for me. Hopefully it will help someone else. It would be nice if HP would tell you that the number is found on the printer display, because I didn't find it in any of the documentation.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi,

Normally this should come from your router because your printer needs to "talk" with your router. Please use the following way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoDc9wn3fJs

or

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/simple-questions-what-wps-wi-fi-protected-setup

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Some confusion exists here.  

The Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) function on network routers is being confused with the WPS-PIN requirement for the HP printers.  If you can already 'see' your HP-PRINTER in your computer's 'discovered' or "Add Printers" device list, you are already connected to your desired network, and so is your new HP-PRINTER.

The WPS-PIN required/requested during the HP Printer-setup (blue-box-pop-up) is a part of the security functions which controls who can print to this printer.

Here is the solution.

I found this solution on another page:

(  https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-Archive-Read-Only/Find-WPS-Pin-NUMBER/td-p/5600936  ).

This solution was posted by "IM64 Tutor".

I am posting it here to shorten the distance for others:

Re: Find WPS Pin NUMBER
Options
‎05-17-2016 09:46 PM
I found my WPS Pin Number accidently.

1. Be close enough to printer to see the display
2. On your computer, select Add Printer from the Control Panel
3. When you find your printer displayed select it
4. When it asked for your WPS Pin take a look at the printer display. This number is shown at this time, but doesn't stay up long
5. Type the number into the space provided on your computer screen
6. Wait while it begins loading the printer.

This worked for me. Hopefully it will help someone else. It would be nice if HP would tell you that the number is found on the printer display, because I didn't find it in any of the documentation.

HP Recommended

Thank you for understanding a simple question. Your instructions were spot-on.

HP Recommended

I can't believe some of the complicated answers people are giving for this question. The solution is easy. I have a HP OfficeJet 3830. When you are asked for the WPS PIN, it's right on the screen of your printer. A message comes up when you are trying to connect your computer wirelessly to your printer. The PIN changes though. So, if you need to connect a different computer to your printer, your printer will provide another code.

Hope this helps. 

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, the HP "expert" is wrong. The WPS PIN is displayed on the LED screen of the printer when you trying to wirelessly connect your computer to it. This has nothing to do with your router. If your computer has located your network printer, then it will ask you for a WPS PIN. Just look for the generated PIN on your printer screen. 

HP Recommended

I couldn't find it ANYWHERE in the documentation. Thank you so much!!!

HP Recommended

@JVH25 wrote:

I have been trying to setup the wireless connection between the printer and the computer for about 3 weeks now and i still can't find the WPS Pin any where on the box the manual and on the printer and router is there a way to find it where it is or what it is. 

Please and Thank you.

HP Recommended

This solution only works with printers that have a screen ... what do you do when you have no screen or only a screen that displays the number of print jobs and WiFi status??

HP Recommended

@DawnzCreationz

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking  here To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire:
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.