Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Samsung CLP500
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Does ANYONE know, or suspect, if HP will provide 64 bit (Catalina) drivers for the older Samsung printers?  I've a fully functional - but unusable - Samsung CLP500 sitting here, waiting for someone at HP to do the right thing.  Macintosh told the world a long time ago that they were dropping 32 bit driver support from Catalina architecture.

Come on, HP.  Get a grip, please!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

As this device is 15 years old and likely well beyond EOSL it is unlikely HP will dedicate any resources to that unless it happens to be a universal driver that supports many devices.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Arbitrarily designating a perfectly functional printer as being past it's End of Service Life is an indictment that I wouldn't like aimed at me in this and doubtless many similar circumstances.  Ever other 'lifed' item, toner cartridges, laser drum, etc, etc, is still readily available for the printer and Hewlett Packard ought to ignore the bean counter's calculations of the profit margins available from a throw away society and consider the customer loyalty and the number of friends they might gain.  They own the rights to Samsung printers from this era, so logically they have access to the proprietary software that drives it.  How hard can it be?  Lots of other manufacturers have produced 64 bit drivers and followed Macintosh into the 21st Century.

If HP think it will encourage me to buy a new printer, they might ultimately be correct.  What they are going to be disappointed about, though, is the name of the manufacturer on it - or any other tech item I buy in the future.

I should perhaps mark and accept your response as a solution.  Forgive me if I don't, just in case someone at HP decides that their approach is an acceptable one.

In conclusion: Since I first asked the question and thanks to family and friends with much more tech knowledge than me, I can continue to use the printer in a limited fashion by using a Raspberry Pi and CUPS software.  Thanks to HP's attitude, I have a wholly unnecessary limitation, plus more work, time and expense - but I consider it worthwhile to save a 30 Kg lump of landfill.

Will

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.