Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Samsung Xpress M2020W
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, 

I run my computer largely offline. I have a USB Wifi adapter for when I need internet, using my Mobile Hotspot for a connection. This is how I have set up my Samsung M2020W for wireless printing. However, I want to know if it's at all possible to maintain a wireless connection to the printer when I'm not on my phone's wifi. In other words,no internet, just a connection between computer and printer. This works fine for printing from my cell phone, through Wifi Direct - no data connection required. However, when I disconnect from the internet and choose my printer in the wifi list (and successfully connect) I get an error message that the printer can't be found. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I would greatly appreciate anyone that can give me a direct answer to this. Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

When you turn your mobile hotspot off, then there is no wireless, then printer and the computer can't communicate.

You can try to set up your printer to print wi-fi direct both to your computer and your cell-phone ( more complicated) or use a USB connection to connect it to the computer (simple).

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

That doesn't sound right. I have no problems connecting to the printer's wireless through the computer. It finds it and connects just fine, but Samsung Printer Manager says it's not available. There's no reason any wireless printer needs internet access to keep printing, just a wireless connection between the two devices (which it has). I went through the wireless installation as directed, so it works when connected to the same router (my phone's hotspot). All I want to do is keep it connected to the computer after I turn off my hotspot - but still have my wifi adapter on. 

HP Recommended

Your phone when in hotspot mode is a bridge between printer and computer, when you turn it OFF there is no connection between printer and computer no matter wireless is still ON both on the printer and computer.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

No worries. I managed to get it installed through Wifi by myself by uninstalling and connecting to the printer's wifi before reinstalling. Works just fine now

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.