Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

@yulita11, thank you for your reply, I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 
Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended
Please I am having the same problem and not sure what I can do.
I have tried every suggestion and procedure without success. Sometimes the reset works for a short while, maybe 2 scans and then fails again.

These printers should have been recalled!
HP Recommended
Sadly there is nothing you can do. These printers have design flaws and should have been recalled, but HP are not interested. I will no longer buy HP, but thats all I can do.
HP Recommended
So that just leaves us out of pocket with no options.
My printer has been like this for ages now and I have tried all sorts. Sometimes for no obvious reason after me playing around with it I can get it to scan absolutely fine and then it will just stop and that's it.
I hadn't purchased a HP printer for many years as found I preferred Epson ink system. I changed my mind about HP after seeing the Envy 120. It looked such a lovely unit and the reviews were really good. I didn't think I would be plagued with problems like I have been. I still don't like the ink system but I would have overlooked that if the printer had been 100%.

Why did HP but recall this unit? It is not a good policy to pretend nothing is wrong just for the sake of one printer model. It's all about saving money.

I would have been happy with any kind of repair or replacement at this point. Doesn't look like HP will even try to help me.
HP Recommended

Hi, I am having the same issue. I have used the scanner a total of 5 times since new. Hence the scanner light failing is an absolute joke. Buying a new printer is not an option as this one fits a very speific space in my studio so I need to organise a repair, but i can't find anyone to help... This is obviously a design flaw, as everyone else has pointed out.

Can someone please direct me to someone who can help? 

Many thanks,

Tom.

HP Recommended

Just to join the chorus of complaints here about the Envy 120 and HP's worthless support, I am in the UK and am now on my 2nd Envy 120e (a refurbushed one) and have the exact same scanning problem. It is clearly a hardware problem but HP refuses to acknowledge it or provide any kind of solution. In the UK they don't even have a repair centre for me to send it to at my own expense. As others here have said this is my last ever HP printer - ARE YOU LISTENING HP ??!!

My 1st Envy 120e packed up with a blank, non-responsive touch screen panel. This is also a well documented fault in these forums but again no solution provided by HP ever works.

If anyone out there ever finds a working resolution to either of these problems then I would like to hear from them. Meanwhile goodbye HP......

HP Recommended
I'm on my 4th HP 120, the latest one is still working but its only a matter of time before it packs in. I've been hunting for a soution for well over 18 months, been on the phone to HP many times and in the end... I gave up. Believe me when I say I'm not the sort of person to ever give up, dog with a bone etc. And I just couldn't win. The technical people who know the facts simply do not talk to the public, the most you can talk to is customer services who ultimately, as friendly and polite and patient as they can be, just useless in the end (other than constantly suggesting replacements)....

I'm sorry to say there really is no (permanent) solution that ever worked.
HP Recommended

Well after a long search I finally found a solution to the scanner problem posted elsewhere in this Forum. I have pasted it below. It does actually work! (Why on earth can't HP Support tell everyone about this?!).

The procedure says 'wiggle the scanner bar' at one point and I actually think this has the effect of improving a cable connection in the hinge of the lid. There is a tape-cable that plugs into a micro-socket right at the hinge point and I think it might just need pushing together a bit more firmly. It is fiddly so take care.

Re: HP Envy 120 Scanner Fault
08-09-2016 04:26 PM
Obviously, this problem is still around...unnecessarily!

The solution that works PERFECTLY was posted by Bettina 22 back in 2014. I can't take credit but I have tried it several times without error. A shame HP could not have passed this along over the past 2 years. I cleaned it up with a little more detail, but I cannot take ownership of the solution.

Thanks Bettina 22!

TO BEGIN: UNPLUP THE UNIT FROM THE POWER CORD AT REAR OF PRINTER

Use #10 Torx driver
Remove 2 screws AT LEFT AND RIGHT BOTTOM OF THE GLASS TOP OF PRINTER SCANNER
Pull glass from the back of the unit UP and SLIGHTLY OUT about enough to get your finger in to support the scanning bar which is connected to a “rail” on the back side of the top.
Pull up the glass while supporting thescanning bar up and away from the base, jiggle the bar a bit and then reassemble THE BAR IN PLACE AGAIN FLUSH WITH THE SIDE. Push front of glass into place and then gently dropping the back of the glass into the top of unit. Make sure the scanning cables are inside the glass before placing glass completely down. KEY: SCANNING BAR MUST BE FLUSH WITH THE SIDE.

Mount just the right screw, PLUG IN THE UNIT WITH ITS POWER CORD AT REAR, reconnect it to your computer, and use the printer to do a scan to your computer. Run another scan to a USB device.
If successful, it is fixed!
Without shutting the printer off, lift the top and check the left hole to make sure it is unobstructed and can receive the holding screw. Screw in the left screw.
IT WORKS!

If the cable ends up blocking the left hole, do another scan and prepare to remove the power cord when the scanning bar is fully extended.
Remove the right screw and lift the glass just enough to get a small flat screwdriver between the glass and the top to move the FLAT cable out of the way of the screw hole.
Drop the glass back into the top and put the left screw in first if the cable is out of the way.
KEY IS THAT THE SCANNING BAR MUST BE FLUSH WITH THE SIDE!

Replace the right screw and REINSERT THE POWER CORD.
The scanning bar should return to the left side of the unit.
Do another scan and, if OK, you are done.
It's really not that hard. My cost to fix was $6.95 for a #10 torx screwdriver. Now scans perfectly!

Good luck!

HP Recommended
Yes I can say I have used this method a few times after working it out for myself and the way I did it was pretty much the same.
I usually just slide the bar across to the right and then close the lid and test. I have tried to have a closer look as to what's going on and indeed if it was actually a connector issue but have been unable to assess what is actually happening. The problem is this method has only ever worked for me for a few scan jobs. That is until the most recent attempt.
I am now actually keeping fingers crossed as I last did this around 2nd January and now as of 16th January it's still working. Here is what I did this time. (Again I am still unable to be sure of what I have actually done.)

Ok follow the instructions given by AlanEnvy and wiggle or just move the head across our whatever suits you and then just before fully assembling get a flat end screwdriver and if you look to the far lower left you will see a black flexible cover that runs to the lower body of printer. This has a ribbon cable that runs underneath. This cover plastic seems to crunch up or even add in my case pop out of the bottom. I use the flat end screwdriver to push the plastic cover back in and down more into the printer casing. I then screwed everything back together and then tried a scan and everything worked fine.

I think somehow the problem is in the lower part of the printer and the ribbon cable is secured very tightly so that it doesn't come out with the constant opening and closing of the lid but somehow the is probably a manufacturing fault with the connector they used to produce these. It is that though it does not come unconnected even when the glass is dismantled at the top but something inside the connector works loose. The is no way of knowing when it will happen only that at some point even if not early on it will happen. I think HP know quite clearly what the problem is and probably has something to do with ending the production of this model. I can also understand why HP would not explain to a customer what it is and how to fix it as somebody who has day no knowledge of electronics or even assembly techniques could end up damaging something else or injuring themselves. What should of happened is HP should have recalled the printer but they didn't.

In the meantime I shall continue to patch the machine as needed now I know what's needed. Apart from this problem I actually think it's a great looking printer with advanced printer mechanics well ahead of its time when it was released. I will keep using this as long as I can before upgrading once it dies for good. As for buying another HP printer or product unless I am given a good discount on a new unit because of this issue I will never by HP again. That is a shame as this printer win me over from Epson after using their printing products for almost 20 years. I guess I will be going back to Epson.

Do you know one other dad thing? .............
HP have not even attempted to respond to this thread and I know they see it.
HP Recommended

Thanks to you and AlanEnvy, my scanner is now working. However, there is a scanner probelm alert on the screen that will not go away unless I shut down.  I appreciate both of you posting a fix because I've looked for one many times and got no workable solutions.

I've had 2 of these printers. Love the look and functios, but have been very frustrated with this product's problems-same thing happed with the first one.   I agree the issues seem to be cable connection or cable design/producton.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.