Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 4500 All-in-One Printer Series - G510
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10.  Prior to the upgrade my HP Officejet 4500 was working fine.  I installed the print driver after I upgraded to windows 10 and the printer can do everything except scan.  After reading about solutions, the fix was to install the full software suite for the printer.  I downloaded the full software suite.  It expands the files, launches the installer, but when I click the next button to continue the intall, the windows dissappear and that's it.  No error messages, nothing.  I've tried turning off all anti-virus software, setting all windows security features to lowest possible settings, uninstalling the driver, restarting, you name it.  For some reason, the software installation just stops.  I have seen other similar posts with no real solutions.  HP must be aware that this install doesn't work?  Need help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Bigred22

Hi,

as @KrazyToad is out of the office today, I'm replying to you. 

I have read your post comprehensively and truly appreciate your efforts and patience.

The evidence points towards a software issue. The printer and the inbuilt scanner are fine. 

You may try creating a new user account and install the drivers in the new user account and check: http://hp.care/2qNyzzc

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. All the best! 🙂

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @Bigred22

Welcome to HP Support Forums. A really great platform for posting all your questions and finding solutions.

I understand that you are unable to install the Full Feature Software.

I could help.

Please uninstall all the Printer Drivers from your computer.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
2.) Select your HP Printer 
3.) Select Uninstall 
4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
6.) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo. 
7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
8.) Click on the “Drivers” tab 
9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
10.) Select Ok 
11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
12.) Close Devices and Printers

Restart your computer and Printer and download the Full Feature Software from Here

Let me know how it goes.

Thank you. 🙂

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" and "Kudos" Buttons.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi KrazyToad,

I went through your instructions but unfortunately it didn't work.  I followed every step and then went to the HP Smart app and selected the scan feature.  I got the same message:

HP Smart cannot scan from this printer.  Either the printer does not have a scanner or HP Smart cannot sue the scanner in thie printer.  

The only unusual thing during the actions you outlined was this message when I was removing the driver using the printui.exe /s    step.  It looks like it removed the driver but it could not remove something:

Driver HP Officejet 4500 G510n-z Class Driver was removed.  Failed to remove package prnhpd1.inf.   Access is denied.

The other interesting thing is that I was able to see HP Smart from the Recently Added list when I click on the Windows start button but I do not see the program in the Programs and Features area of Control Panel. Not sure if that's a clue or not.  

Any suggestions on next thing to try?

HP Recommended

Hi @Bigred22

Are you able to make a Copy?

Try installing the Windows Built-IN driver.Please refer to this Link

Then you can use the Windows Scan And Capture to Scan. Please refer to this Link for more details on Windows Scan And Capture.

Thank you. 🙂

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" and "Kudos" Buttons.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I can print and copy, that has always worked since going to windows 10.

I installed the Windows Built-in driver.

I tried the Windows Scan and Catpure but when I went to select device, it also said no scanner detected.

Whatever software I try to use, none of them detect the scanner.

Very frustrating indeed.  I'm willing to try something else?

Any insight into why the full feature software install screen just disappears and doen't finish?  

HP Recommended

@Bigred22

Hi,

as @KrazyToad is out of the office today, I'm replying to you. 

I have read your post comprehensively and truly appreciate your efforts and patience.

The evidence points towards a software issue. The printer and the inbuilt scanner are fine. 

You may try creating a new user account and install the drivers in the new user account and check: http://hp.care/2qNyzzc

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

It worked !!

I created another local admin account and installed the software using that account.  When running the full suite installation under my original account failed, it kep running under the new account and I got all the installation screens and was able to install the full software.  Once I did that I could use all printer functions including scanning.  Whew!

Thanks so much !!

So as a last question, do you know what would be keeping my other account from letting the installation run?  It seems to me it was related to stopping pop-ups because when I ran it under the new account, the softwaer used pop-ups to do the installation.

HP Recommended

@Bigred22

You're most welcome. 🙂

You've been fabulous to work with considering your superb technical skills, remarkable patience and great attitude. Kudos to you for that.

It could be because of some kind of corruption in the previous user account. Sometimes, everything seems okay but the drivers may still not get installed because of an issue with the operating system.

Hope your printers remain healthy for a long time and wish you happy printing!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.