Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet MFP M281cdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Has anyone been able to resolve the, "The test was unsuccessful, try again" error when trying to configure the Scan to Network Folder option?
I have an SMB share setup on my FreeNAS device, that is properly shared (I can connect to it no problem from a command prompt on any network-connected machine) , but the HP Printer will NOT connect to the share. I've tried various options to ensure that the share is accessible, even specifying the IP Address of the NAS box instead of the name (which resolves just fine with DNS)..
I've seen several forum messages about this issue on various forums, but I have yet to see any solution...

I'm running the latest firmware on the printer, everything else works just fine (including the built-in windows scan app on a network machine), but for the life of me I cannot get the printer to recognize the share...

Help?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@TedM_AZ

Thank you for joining HP Forums.

It's a pleasure assisting you in finding answers to your technical queries.

Let's try the below steps that could help you to fix the issue.

1. Open the HP Printer Assistant.

● Windows 10: From the Start menu, click All Apps, click HP, and then select the printer name.

2. In the HP Printer Assistant, select Scan, and then select Scan to Network Folder Wizard.

3. In the Network Folder Profiles dialog, click the New button. The Scan to Network Folder Setup dialog opens.

4. On the 1. Start page, enter the folder name in the Display Name field. This is the name that will display on the printer control panel.

5. Complete the Destination Folder field in one of the following ways:

a. Enter the file path manually.

b. Click the Browse button and navigate to the folder location.

c. Complete the following task to create a shared folder:

i. Click Share Path.

ii. In the Manage Network Shares dialog, click New.

iii. In the Share Name field, enter the name to display for the shared folder.

iv. To complete the Folder Path field, click the Browse button, and then select one of the following options. Click OK when done.

● Navigate to an existing folder on the computer.

● Click Make New Folder to create a new folder.

v. If the shared path needs a description, enter a description in the Description field.

vi. In the Share Type field, select one of the following options, and then click Apply.

● Public

● Private

NOTE: For security considerations, HP recommends selecting Private as the share type.

vii. When a The share was successfully created message displays, click OK.

viii. Select the check box for the destination folder, and then click OK.

6. To create a shortcut to the network folder on the computer desktop, select the Create a Desktop shortcut to the network folder check box

7. To require a PIN to be entered on the printer control panel before the printer can send a scanned document to a network folder, enter a 4-digit PIN in the Security PIN field, and then re-enter the PIN in the &onfirm Security PIN field. Click Next. NOTE: HP recommends creating a PIN to secure the destination folder. NOTE: When a PIN is created, it must be entered on the printer control panel each time a scan is sent to the network folder.

8. On the 2. Authenticate page, enter the Windows User Name and Windows Password used to log in to the computer, and then click Next.

9. On the 3. &onfigure page, select the default scan settings by completing the following task, and then click Next.

a. From the Document Type drop-down, select the default file format for scanned files.

b. From the Color Preference drop-down, select Black & White or Color.

c. From the Paper Size drop-down, select the default paper size for scanned files.

d. From the Quality Settings drop-down, select the default resolution for scanned files.

NOTE: Higher resolution images have more dots per inch (dpi), so they show more detail. Lower resolution images have fewer dots per inch and show less detail, but the file size is smaller. e. In the Filename Prefix field, enter a file name prefix (e.g., MyScan).

10. On the 4. Finish page, review the information and verify all the settings are correct. If there is an error, click the Back button to correct the error. If the settings are correct, click the Save and Test button to test the configuration.

11. When the Congratulations message displays, click Finish to complete the configuration.

12. The Network Folder Profiles dialog now shows the newly added sender email profile. Click Close to exit the wizard.

Use this link: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05543371 and refer to page number 59.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Hello,

I appreciate your response, however it does not address my issue. First off, this is using the latest HP Drivers for the Color Laserjet MFP 281cdw (the file name is LJM278-M281_UWWL_4_1_Full_WebPack_44.3.2218.exe ) 

When this software is installed, selecting the printer from the HP menu results in starting DeviceSetup.exe, which does not provide any options to use the "Scan to Network Folder Wizard".. There is "HP Printer Assistant" that is installed with this driver set, and the Scan application that is installed does not have a setup option.. (The software works properly, I can scan from the software on a connected PC)

Also please note from my original message that I am sharing the folder from a NAS device via an SMB share, so there is no Windows wizard to use to setup the folder. Also note that the folder can be browsed properly from any network connected machine running either Windows or Linux....

Finally, as a test, I shared a folder on a Windows 10 PC attached to the network, and disabled the firewall on that PC. While I could connect to that folder from other PCs on the network, the printer would not accept the folder path in the setup.

I am still stuck. I need to be able to setup the printer to scan to this network folder.... 

Thank you.

HP Recommended

@TedM_AZ

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

I am sending you a private message. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello!

I am having the same problems as the thread starter:

The share is accessible from other PCs and a Lexmark CX410 can deposit scans into it. The software on the PC doesn't offer the  "Scan to Network Folder Wizard" as advertised in the manual. Scanning with "HP Scan" however works as expected.

I need the scan to network folders to work!

Thanks

DeepCore

HP Recommended

Solved!

Steps to reproduce:

- Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

- Deactivate the passwords for your shares: -> The Network and Sharing Center -> Advanced Sharing Settings -> Turn off password protected sharing

Solution:

- Use "Guest" as the username in the Network Folder Information on your HP printer!

There seems to be something wrong with how the SMB shares work after certain updates from Microsoft and/or Linux Samba

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.