Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

My office jet pro 8620 printer was working perfectly until recently when I had to photocopy from a book - the closing lid is not closing properly and as a result the photocopier giving blank shade. My unit is out of warranty and HP tech support could not help as they no longer repair this printer. The copy using auto feeder is fine. Can someone tell me how to open the top lid and is there anything I can do to repair it myself? 

Many thanks in advance,

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

To allow for copying books, the cover is on "legs" that stand in "slots" in the base, when scan/copy a book,  there is a gap between the cover and glass, there will be some shadow outside of the book.

I assume you mean the cover now doesn't go back all the way? Try open the cover all the way and give it a little wiggle and push back down on the hinges (legs), and the close the cover.

**Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
HP Recommended

@BCWiltshire

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for your reply and advise . The problem is the lid not closing fully now - see attached photo. 

I tried your suggestion, but no improvement.

9BD7C3A3-8749-462E-B031-B1075E7E61A8.jpegimage.jpgHow can I open the back to align the gear assembly back as normal? I can see the wheel gear (or leg) on left side (looking from back of the unit) is protruding out compared to right most wheel. 

Many thanks,

HP Recommended

@BCWiltshire Please don't try to open the back or remove the ADF, that could damage the cables connecting the ADF/scanner to the base.

The hinge on this printer is designed to allow lifting a little to accomodate copying a page from a book or thick media/object. Normally it should go back down (by the weight of the ADF/cover), it looks like in this case, it didn't go down properly.  Try lift the cover all the way to a standing position, and then gentally press down on the left side leg.

**Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.