Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

Hello. I have a HP Photosmart S20 Scanner.  I upgraded to Windows 8.1  Is there any aftermarket companies that provide a driver and software to make this unit work?  HP says something about Hamrick and EMC. Has anyone tried these? or is it better to have a dual boot operating system with both XP and 8.1? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello,

You might try Vuescan software (http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.htm#hp).   Their software works across many older devices (and your Photosmart S20 was listed), and just might work on Windows 8.   Worth looking into...

Jeremy

I am an HP employee, however, this content reflects my personal opinion and is in no way associated with HP.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello,

You might try Vuescan software (http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.htm#hp).   Their software works across many older devices (and your Photosmart S20 was listed), and just might work on Windows 8.   Worth looking into...

Jeremy

I am an HP employee, however, this content reflects my personal opinion and is in no way associated with HP.
HP Recommended

THX for the Link!  I will try it and let ya'll know.

HP Recommended

The Vuescan ads, etc, are misleading... they say it supports the S20, but you have to read the fine print that says it must have the 'latest drivers' for the S20... which are XP drivers.  So, yes, Vuescan running on Windows XP will support the S20... but not any any newer version of Windows.

Easiest thing to do is to set up a dual-boot system with an option to boot into a secondary installation of Windows XP... just to run that S20 scanner.... and little else, as there are no further security updates for XP (unless you have a Business-class support agreement).

HP Recommended

I need this software.

Who can help me?

Yhanks

HP Recommended

Dear Sir,

I have the same problem and tried a dual version with XP.

Pity anough I don't have the sotware for the S20 anymore.

Can you help me?

Thanks

HP Recommended

After the drivers are installed, many XP scanner programs (such as VueScan)  should recognize the S20 scanner and take a scan from it. You can google for the original software, but I haven't seen any for sale, except with an s20 scanner. 

HP Recommended

Easy to get the HP PhotoSmart S20 scanner to work with Windows 8/8.1/10 ... install the PhotoSmart software then update the S20 driver with one of the newer provided PhotoSmart drivers.

HOW TO INSTALL THE DRIVER

1.  Download the PhotoSmart S10/S20 software ps804en.exe and install ... do not download a driver installer to get the driver use the link below. This software provides the scanning control and color correction functions it is fully automatic nothing to set. Note the install file is 70.62 MB any file smaller is a "download installer".

http://www.helpjet.net/Fs-60847854-80177087-39633014-devices.html

2.  Update the device driver with PhotoSmart 5510 or similar ... scanner must be turned on and connected ... select driver from the HP drivers available. Disconnect the scanner then reconnect then run the PhotoSmart program the scanner should now work.

3.  Download the calibration card from the site below ... do the calibration from the PhotoSmart program ... calibration is required to get rid of the banding on scans.

https://www.photo.net/discuss/threads/hp-photosmart-s20-calibration-card.126557/

+++

HP Recommended

I am stuck on #2 (update the device driver). Can you help?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.