Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

Thanks for trying - still not recognised by Windows Scan. Managing to get by in a round about way with HP Solutions Centre, but everything points to the problem being "WIA drivers missing", and although I have the installation disc, it won't run.

HP Recommended

All too technical for me I'm afraid, but totally agree I would never buy any HP product again.

HP Recommended

The problem is WIA (Windows Image Aquisition), so all attempts to fix this by mucking about with the hardware (disconnecting cables, etc.) are a waste of time. The HP Print and Scanner Doctor successfully identifies and fixes the problem but, the next time you reboot, it breaks again. It all worked fine in Windows 10. The problem only appeared with Windows 11. So, to be honest, it's probably not an HP issue. It would be nice if they'd acknowledge it and try to fix it, though, instead of the usual tedious 'Try unplugging it and plugging it back in' and  'Your device is out of warranty. Goodbye' bulls**t.

HP Recommended

I did 2 things:

1. Uninstall HP Smart and re-install via the Microsoft Store (to re-install the software drivers)

HP Smart won't work. So,

2. Downloaded Scanner app from Microsoft Store.

Run the Windows Scan app to scan your documents

HP Recommended

I don't use HP Smart. Also, I tried the MS Scanner app. It didn't work, either.

The only thing that fixes it is reinstalling the WIA drivers. Reinstalling the printer drivers also works because it reinstalls the WIA drivers. But it only works until you reboot. Then it breaks again.

The problem is in Windows itself, so trying different apps isn't going to help.

HP Recommended

The printer works perfectly. It's only the scanner that has the problem. Fortunately, I don't use the scanner very often and I can fix it temporarily by reinstalling WIA. So it's not completely stopping me. It's just a pain in the a**e to have to do that each time.

HP Recommended

I have two of the Officejet 6960 printers. I've also noticed I can no longer change the printing preferences, even using HPSmart. I'm unable to change from color to black and white, draft or normal...any of the things I was previously able to do from any application when printing. Additionally, I no longer have scan to pdf as an option on the printer itself. 

It's been so unstable since the 11 rollout!!!  

HP Recommended

Well, once the error occurs, it's not possible to do scanning of any kind as there is no communication between the scanner and the PC. Printing still works fine. After I fix the error by reinstalling WIA, scanning works fine. I do not lose the 'Scan to PDF' option on the printer. Reinstalling WIA takes seconds. Just uninstall the scanner in Device Manager and then click 'Scan for hardware changes'. It reinstalls it and it works fine until I reboot. Interestingly, if I leave the printer on while I reboot (or restart the printer with the PC still on), the error does not occur. It only happens if both are off at the same time. If I could leave the printer on permanently, it would solve the problem. But it switches off if I don't use it for a while. This is the only problem I have encountered with Windows 11 (so far). Everything else works great (except HDR, obviously, but that didn't work properly in Windows 10, either).

HP Recommended

I recently upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11 on my Dell desktop. I am still able to print without any problem, but I am unable to scan documents. I keep getting a message saying, "Scanning is currently unavailable." My HP Envy 6055 is not offline, but even with a "ready" message, I cannot scan.  

HP Recommended

Sounds like the same problem. Try running the HP Print and Scan Doctor. If it finds a problem with WIA then it's the same problem. It may fix it, so it's worth a try. It fixes it for me but only until the next time the PC and printer are powered off. When I turn them back on, it's broken again. Now I know what the problem is, it's actually quicker just to uninstall WIA in Device Manager and then let it reinstall.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.