Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
MFP m28w
Android 9.0 Pie

Hi,

I have a Laserjet MFP m28w, it is connected by wifi and works perfectly for printing/scanning with my PC but from my Android device I am not able lo scan (printing works fine).

I have updated the firmware and tested several times but it does not work, I can open the scanning section in HP Smart app but the "scan" button" or the configuration section are not doing anything, it seems that the app is waiting for something.

Any idea to fix it?

Thx

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi @Danglot,

Welcome to the HP Support Community

I'd like to help!

To assist better -Are you able to make copies using the printer?

Use the HP Smart app to print, scan, copy, and fax

Print, scan, copy, and fax from the HP Smart app home screen tiles. You can also check printer status, troubleshoot issues, order supplies, and set printer preferences.

EXAMPLE OF THE HP SMART APP HOME SCREEN (MOBILE, COMPUTER)

Example of the HP Smart app home screen (mobile, computer)

• To print, select a print job type from the home screen, select the item to print, use the photo editing tools if necessary, and then change any print job settings.

• To scan, choose to scan from the printer scanner glass or document feeder, import a photo, or use the computer or mobile device camera to capture a photo or document. Use the editing tools if necessary, and then print, save, or share the scanned item. For more information, go to How to scan with an HP Printer.

• To copy (Android, iOS only), open the Copy tile, use the camera to capture a document or photo, select the size and number of copies, and then print the item in color or black and white.

• To manage the printer, click the picture of your printer on the home screen to change preferences and options, check the printer status, and more.

• To add or remove home screen tiles, select Personalize Tiles at the bottom of the screen (Android, iOS) or in the App Settings (Windows, Mac).

• To learn about other app features, select one of the following links:

• Diagnose and Fix: Run this troubleshooting tool built into the HP Smart app for Mac and Windows computers if you are experiencing issues with your printer.

• Print Anywhere: Use your printer when you are away from home and have access to a cellular network or Wi-Fi with internet access.

• Shortcuts: Create one-touch Shortcuts (formerly Smart Tasks) to quickly complete repetitive tasks such as emailing, printing, and saving scans.

• Mobile Fax: Securely send documents to a fax machine or fax-capable printer.

You may refer to -HP printer setup (HP Smart app)

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

The problem is that when I select "Scan from the printer" a new screen is shown but the buttons do not work, it seems the app is waiting for something.

HP Recommended

Please help me with the below details -

• Have you signed in to the HP Smart app?
  • Are you receiving any error messages?
  • Are you able to print using the app?
  • Are you able to make copies?

Let me know!

HP Recommended
  • Have you signed in to the HP Smart app?

Yes, I am.

• Are you receiving any error messages?

No, just the scan button does not do nothing:

screenshot.jpeg
  • Are you able to print using the app?

Yes

• Are you able to make copies?

Yes

HP Recommended

Could you translate the message in between the scan window?

Let me know!

HP Recommended

"Put the paper in the scanner and press the button to start"

HP Recommended

Update  android and printer firmware

To update printer firmware, refer  - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

To update the android.

1. Open your phone's Settings app.
  2. Near the bottom, tap System. System update.
  3. You'll see your update status. Follow any steps on the screen.

Uninstall HP smart and reinstall it from the play store

Setup the printer on the app and follow the instructions to scan -

Scan with the HP Smart app (Android, Apple iOS)

Scan documents and photos from the printer, or capture items with the phone or tablet camera.

Select one of the following scan tiles from the HP Smart app home screen.

Printer Scan: Place the original on the printer scanner glass or into the automatic document feeder (ADF). In Android, tap the Settings icon to select the input source, resolution, and color, and then tap Close. In iOS, tap the dropdown to select the paper size, quality, and color, and then tap Done.

Camera Scan: Uses the camera on a phone or tablet to capture a photo or document that you can edit, print, or share.

Tap the Preferences icon toggle the enhancement features on or off, and then tap Done.

Select a preset option, and then tap Scan or the white circle to start the scan.

If an Adjust Boundaries or Detect Edges screen displays, tap Auto or manually adjust the boundaries by tapping and moving the blue dots, and then tap Next.

Preview of adjusting boundaries for a scan

Select from the following options and settings in the Preview window.

Add another page by tapping + Add.

Tap and drag the images to reorder multi-page scans.

Tap the Menu icon to edit, replace, or delete the scanned items.

Tap the Rotate icon to rotate the item.

Select the file type, either Basic PDF to save as a single file or Image to save the scans separately.

In the Edit window, adjust or enhance the file by cropping, changing the color, rotating, or adding filters and text, and then tap Done.

Scan Edit screen

Select an option to save, print, share, or fax the scan file.

Print: Send a scan to the printer.

Save: The default save location for scanned documents is the Documents folder and the Pictures library for scanned photos. Save a scan in the default location or browse to a different folder.

Share: Send a scan in an email, share via social media accounts such as Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram, or save the scan in a cloud storage account, such as Box or OneDrive. You can also look for other apps in the Windows Store.

Shortcuts: Create or use an existing shortcut for printing, emailing, or saving scanned files to cloud accounts.

Fax: Send a scan via fax.

After saving the scan, tap the back button to return to the Home screen.

Hope this helps, keep me posted

HP Recommended

Hi

• Printer firmware:

It seems updated:

My printer:

Danglot_0-1649230050494.png

Latest firmware:

Danglot_1-1649230094742.png

• My phone is updated to Android 12 with March 2022 security update installed
  • I have uninstalled and installed again HP Smart app but I have the same issue.

Thx

HP Recommended

Try restarting your phone and then try scanning.

If the error persists,

• I've sent you a private message with further instructions to get this issue sorted.
  • In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP community profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link:  https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Hope this helps! Let me know how it goes.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.